Xref Objects

cindydecker

This had me stumped for quite awhile. I finally resolved the issue, so I thought I would share with the rest of you.

I wanted to xref objects into me scene. I wanted them to update (modifiers, materials, etc) when the original was edited. Prior to creating an xref, make sure the merge transforms, merge materials, and merge manipulators are all turned off. And that the modifiers drop down list is set to xref. Also be sure to check the automatic update and enable.

You should now have a file that will automatically update when an xref is updated. I hope this helps, and spares you the time I spend searching for this information. Good luck modeling.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I have a question related to this. Lets say i have already succeded doing above you said for one xref object.

Then i want to make many intances out of that xref object in my master scene. What is the best way to do that? Because i have done it previously (instanced the xref object normally like if i instancing a normal object) then save the master scene. But evrytime i reopen the master scene file i could only find the last instanced xref object in the master scene. Only one xref object left in my master scene. All of the instanced xref object were gone. What i want is i need all of the instanced xref objects are in their place everytime i reopen the master scene file.

Anyone?

xref objects are completely broken in 3dsmax, I would highly recommend not using them. They tend to dissapear, some instances you will not be able to remove them, no matter how many times you press 'delete'. They also carry from scene to scene through many forms, materials for example. They are like the virus of the 3dsmax world - i have assets from 5 years ago im still removing xref object data from.

Xref Scene works to some degree, but since max 2016 they have memory leak issues too - which means having them on will take your scene 10x longer to load than normal. Strangely saving in scene does not take so long but remember - each xref will only load on ONE CPU, which means you will be waiting awhile with multiple xrefs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James. Thanks for your info & opinion abt the xRef.

If you said so, what is the best alternative then xRef to make in viewport manouverability more manageable whenever you are doing a large scale project (with millions of polys).

Container? Or proxy (does proxy has ability to update any changes to source object?)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

update xref? doesnt work how to fix this?

Man I was out of myself :D had very big scene and update button didnt work, but then I uncheck and chec "enable" and everything is fine now, scene updated include all have to be checked all the time

Edited by komyali