Interior Render

alejandrofernandez

Hi, I always seem to have this problem with my interior renders. The ceiling always looks darker than the walls, I`d like to know how to lighten up the ceiling. Im attaching the image so you know what Im talking about. I always fix this in photoshop, but Im sure there has to be a way to fix this in 3DMAX with vray. Help!

Thank you!

ADB R1.jpg

I think darker is correct because your walls are receiving more light. You're probably never going to get it right (to get the effect you want artistically) so I always composite. I also find lighting it separately with a light shining up gives a nicer tone.

office-and-workspace-delectable-l-shaped-work-desk-for-home-office-with-wooden-material-the-elegance-collection-of-designer-desks-for-home-office-designer-desks-home-office-designer-desks-home-office.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

@hani30: for the stone wall on the right next to book shelve, did you use displacement or geometrically carved it? :-) you got a nice surface texture there at the meeting point with the window frame & have a well corner joint. How dis you do that?

It is true, that sometimes depending of your light situation you will need to use hidden fill lights, just like a photographer would do. but it is also true that setting correct materials also will give you better light bounce in your scene, try to not use pure black or 100 white materials. Also several materials that seems to be 100 matte in reality they are not, this will also give you extra punch in the light.

Check your light intensities and exposure.

I do a lots of interiors for schools and hospitals, windows and open spaces are limited in most of them and still is very strange when I have to use a light pointing the ceiling to compensate lighting. actually I can't remember when was last time I used. My fill lights are more to create color variation of fill dark corners in the building.

If you are rendering your room alone, not with the rest of the building, remember to place a big plane under your room as a ground, this will help you to bounce the sun light up to your room, portal skys also will benefit from this. If you are using V Ray, using a V Ray infinite plane will work great.

It is true, that sometimes depending of your light situation you will need to use hidden fill lights, just like a photographer would do. but it is also true that setting correct materials also will give you better light bounce in your scene, try to not use pure black or 100 white materials. Also several materials that seems to be 100 matte in reality they are not, this will also give you extra punch in the light.

Check your light intensities and exposure.

I do a lots of interiors for schools and hospitals, windows and open spaces are limited in most of them and still is very strange when I have to use a light pointing the ceiling to compensate lighting. actually I can't remember when was last time I used. My fill lights are more to create color variation of fill dark corners in the building.

If you are rendering your room alone, not with the rest of the building, remember to place a big plane under your room as a ground, this will help you to bounce the sun light up to your room, portal skys also will benefit from this. If you are using V Ray, using a V Ray infinite plane will work great.

The infinite plane worked! Thanks! About the hidden fill lights, do you just use Plane lights or spheres?

• 3 weeks later...

After doing some research I finally found the right way to make my ceilings look lighter. The problem was that the flooring was reflecting on the ceiling, so what I did is, selected my floor material box in the material editor, clicked on the VRAYMTL button and select VrayOverideMtl, in the GI tab I created a white VrayMtl material and done