revit to max for furniture

dirkdriehuijzen

Hi there,

I'm new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right category,

I'm currently working on a large scale project where i take someone's revit file in max and render it. He told me he can't read any 3ds files into revit because it will make his file too slow. We need to place a lot of chairs in the scene, is there a way to somehow proxy them in revit? or link an object from revit to an object in max so it will be replaced ?

Why do you need to place them in Revit at all if you are just going to replace them in Max? If you do need to take this extra step, I would just use boxes in Revit as placeholders. You could call them PL-"furniture name", so for example PL-KART_CHAIR. This way it makes it easier to find in max and easier to know which furniture piece is where. Then in Max, you can just use the clone and align tool on the placeholders and the actual furniture model.

I would export these placeholders as a separate file from Revit though. That way you can keep all of the individual objects and not combine anything. If you include these with your main file and not combine anything, you'll get a very bloated file on import into Max.

Thanks for your response !

We need to have them in revit for various reasons...

I've put them on separate layers in max and placed them in myself.

I thought revit-max would be an easy workflow but geometry handling seem te be a bit different too.

when I import cylinders they always have this strange wireframe.

my performance is going down really fast too, renders take ages.

Y2uVpB.jpg

Any ideas how to fix this ?

I replied yesterday, but it seems my reply got lost...

I need to have those chairs in Revit for various reasons,

but i've put them in max myself now and I'm going to hide his layer.

I thought Revit had a good 3ds max compability, but it seems it still has flaws.

Or I'm just not experienced enough. 3ds max seems to convert all my cilindrical objects to a mesh with a very strange wireframe (and a lot of polygons). Any workaround for this ?

eIfHhR.jpg