Render Farm Managers

ericgardiner

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a render farm manager? We currently use backburner but are considering other options because backburner has been a headache. Our farm consists of 7 dedicated nodes. We use 3ds max and vray. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Deadline is great. I know nothing of it's cost or how hard it is to install, but as a user, it's really easy to use. The interface can be a bit daunting at first because it has a lot of options, but it is completely customize-able for the information you want from your render and can manage a lot more than just max and Vray. I haven't used Backburner in a couple years so maybe they have added this by now, but Deadline allows for changes to your Max and Vray settings without having to resubmit. It's a really awesome feature.

I've used Deadline for the last 4 years, some advantages over Backburner are detailed error reporting, support for distributed rendering and remote monitoring for mobile devices. The system allows you to remotely access render nodes to restart services or even the machine itself and you can monitor each nodes performance instantly to see if there are any problems. When doing animations you can see detailed information on each completed frame and the frame can be opened for viewing from within deadline. Price is another matter, you have to pay for each node which cost about $185 for the initial purchase and about $150 to upgrade. It is probably one of the most expensive options out there but if your looking for rock solid performance this is your program.