No HDRI sky backround after loading ProEXR

philvanderloo

I just opened my composited rendering in Photoshop after loading ProEXR and everything came through fine except none of the layers contain my HDRI sky background. My beauty pass layer is RGBA did I screw up some render setting?

It comes through fine in my .tiff rendering. Can someone clue me in on what to look for?

Using max 2015 with VRay 3.0

Thank You

Edited by philvanderloo

I'm not sure how the ProEXR plugin hands alpha channels, but with the regular OpenEXR importer, Photoshop gives you the option of handling alpha channel data either as transparency or as an alpha channel. If you choose transparency, it gets rid of any image data that is covered by the alpha channel. (I'm not sure if that's technically what happens, but that's how it appears to function. There's an interesting thread between users and one of the Adobe engineers about this.) Anyways, it sounds like this might be what's happening with the ProEXR plugin.

I'm sure you're right Scott. The first time I opened the file I chose to open with alpha as transparency. So I figured the solution was to close, and reopen with the alpha channel. Problem is, every time I reopen I no longer get that option. The instructions say to hold down the shift key while the file is opening and I can reset this. But it's not happening. Maybe that's a mac thing. My pc isn't getting that dialog to show again.

This ProEXR sure is cool though. Looking forward to getting it dialed in.

• 2 weeks later...