OC help.

A general explanation but good:http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2450639/overclocking-cpus-memory-controller-effect-raised-multiplier-cpu-overclock.html

Some more:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/152/1

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/26

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Feature/108199,the-beginners-guide-to-memory-overclocking.aspx/1

Hope this helps;)

Stephen I doubt that your one click OC is as 'good' as a manual oc I don't know how this 5 way opt system works but in general they tend to put way more volts into the cpu ram ect to insure a stable OC on most processors. And of course volts are what kill processors (over a long period of time - chill ) That said if it works and you don't want to fiddle around with your pc for a week I really would not worry about never fix what is not broken on a pc :)

And op google '5820k OC guide' should have tons of info or checkout the above its easy don't worry!

Use the 5 way optimisation feature, Asus make it easy for you :) I got 4.5GHz on my 4930K using it, so it can be as good as a manual OC. Will analyse your system and set up custom fan profiles as well.

I don't know how well these profiles are set up today, but in the past on X79 there where some serious problems with too high voltages for VTT/VCCIO and VSA/VCCSA set by the auto OC which can cause a degradation of the CPU.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?19926-3930K-C2-Degradation

Maybe they fixed this now, but i wouldn't trust the auto settings without checking them one by one ( http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.php/reviews/hardware/cpu/33127-oc-guide-bringing-haswell-e-to-its-limits.html?start=4 ). Especially VTT/VCCIO and VSA/VCCSA should be kept below 1.2v (maybe better 1.1-1.15v for VSA).

And of course, generally the values set by the auto OC are too high just because every chip is different and they can't know how much a specific CPU needs and so they have to aim on the high side and add some safety margin on top.

Edited by numerobis

^This.

The auto-OC features most manufacturers give as are OK, but in order to achieve stability most of them usually are a bit heavy on the Vcore increases, tho never really on the "dangerous" side.

Unless you have a really bad chip, you can do better with manual settings.

The painful part is stress testing the system to determine the minimum overvoltage that ensures stability.

The BIOS settings you actually need to tweak for average overclocks (i.e. in the 4.4-4.5GHz Range with any Haswell) and a bit higher with the latest s1150 like the 4790K are actually just the multiplier and Vcore. s2011 CPUs offer more options, but this doesn't mean you should tweak EVERYTHING to make it work if you don't go for extreme overclocks. There are exhausting guides if you want to do so though online.

If you have an average cooling solution, say a CLC or a good air cooler like the ND15, 6-core and 8-core CPUs will probably hit the maximum heat the cooler can dissipate well before you get to Vcore levels that might threaten the longevity of the chip. But if you have top of the line CLC or custom water cooling, you might need to spend the extra time to tweak the Vcore as even though the chip will not hit TJmax to start throttling, the extra voltage will wear it prematurely over the period of months.

That's my 2 cents: Temperature doesn't kill the chips. Manufacturers have perfected thermal safety measures for them: the chip will throttle or shut down if it reaches dangerous temps, and those are set above 100oC for intel CPUs and cannot be overridden.

Vcore increases beyond the maximum recommended levels for 24/7 operation (google it for your CPU) is the danger, as we override all safeties when we apply them.

Edited by dtolios

^This.

The auto-OC features most manufacturers give as are OK, but in order to achieve stability most of them usually are a bit heavy on the Vcore increases, tho never really on the "dangerous" side.

Unless you have a really bad chip, you can do better with manual settings.

The painful part is stress testing the system to determine the minimum overvoltage that ensures stability.

The BIOS settings you actually need to tweak for average overclocks (i.e. in the 4.4-4.5GHz Range with any Haswell) and a bit higher with the latest s1150 like the 4790K are actually just the multiplier and Vcore. s2011 CPUs offer more options, but this doesn't mean you should tweak EVERYTHING to make it work if you don't go for extreme overclocks. There are exhausting guides if you want to do so though online.

If you have an average cooling solution, say a CLC or a good air cooler like the ND15, 6-core and 8-core CPUs will probably hit the maximum heat the cooler can dissipate well before you get to Vcore levels that might threaten the longevity of the chip. But if you have top of the line CLC or custom water cooling, you might need to spend the extra time to tweak the Vcore as even though the chip will not hit TJmax to start throttling, the extra voltage will wear it prematurely over the period of months.

That's my 2 cents: Temperature doesn't kill the chips. Manufacturers have perfected thermal safety measures for them: the chip will throttle or shut down if it reaches dangerous temps, and those are set above 100oC for intel CPUs and cannot be overridden.

Vcore increases beyond the maximum recommended levels for 24/7 operation (google it for your CPU) is the danger, as we override all safeties when we apply them.

This is what I'm finding with OCing my 5820k with the one-step feature. With a 40x multiplier (4.07ghz) at 1.245v, which i think is a touch high for 40x. Not bad and rock solid for now. I might try to tweak up to the 4.3 range, but I'd be more inclined to tune the voltages than try to eek out too much and risk damaging the cpu.

edit* typo.

edit* more...

I'm using a Corsair H100I and at max load for 2 hours I'm at about 54 degrees, looking great! It's a brand new build though.

Edited by ryannelson