Bim

komyali

I put this to general discussion because down there nobody go :D

What BIM software to use, I am in dillema, my all work is autocad 3ds( I will continue to use 3ds for renders), and I know basics of Revit, but I found lots of other good BIM programs

What do you think continue with Revit or go with something else?

SCHEME

ARCHDAILY

I am not a BIM guy but at our company we use BIM, we have Revit. I think it is really good to have Revit as it is the most commonly used BIM software in the market and most people use Revit so if you are working with other consultants you will not have problems with interportability.

There are concerning problems with Revit like that it is not sold seperately, you have to go for a Building Design Suite or like an Infrastructure Suite. Another problem I faced as a visualizer is that there is no good interportability of Revit scenes for Vray render. I had to write scripts to export multiple Views as FBX files and then import in 3dsmax -> Convert Materials to Vray Materials.

Another issue is that Revit has a clean and good interportability for Navisworks but Navisworks doesn't have one for 3dsmax.

The questions seems a little strange to me, I would ask you what you want to do with the "BIM" software. Are you just interested in the modeling capabilities of the software or are you an Architect that want to use BIM to help you to design and coordinate your project with other disciplines such E M P??

If your only interest are the modeling capabilities I would tell you stay with Max because if visualization is all what you care REVIT will make you work double to just model a building or a house. ArchiCAD seems a little more friendly in regards to modeling but still when you do visualization there is a lot of info that we don't need, we are just creating images or animation, not construction drawings.

knowing the basics of all these software, such REVIT, ArchiCAD, Rhino, CATIA is good so when you receive a model created in any of these software you can decide what's the best way to export or link the model but other than that it is a whole other world.

Autodesk own both software, REVIT and 3Ds Max but the workflow is not that seamles as Autodesk sell.

The questions seems a little strange to me, I would ask you what you want to do with the "BIM" software. Are you just interested in the modeling capabilities of the software or are you an Architect that want to use BIM to help you to design and coordinate your project with other disciplines such E M P??

If your only interest are the modeling capabilities I would tell you stay with Max because if visualization is all what you care REVIT will make you work double to just model a building or a house. ArchiCAD seems a little more friendly in regards to modeling but still when you do visualization there is a lot of info that we don't need, we are just creating images or animation, not construction drawings.

knowing the basics of all these software, such REVIT, ArchiCAD, Rhino, CATIA is good so when you receive a model created in any of these software you can decide what's the best way to export or link the model but other than that it is a whole other world.

Autodesk own both software, REVIT and 3Ds Max but the workflow is not that seamles as Autodesk sell.

I want full potencial of Building Information Model not just modeling...

What is better Revit or ArchiCad?

''' as it is the most commonly used BIM software in the market'''

'''most people use Revit.'''

that depends on country...plenty of offices still use Archicad (the BIM pioneer)

In Germany and Austria what is more commonly Revit or Archicad? I am interested in Europe.

''What is better Revit or ArchiCad?'' what is better an apple or an orange?

Both programms are fine, out of my experience I can tell that Revit is widely used in the U.S./Australia/England and in big architecture firms.

My former Australian employer switched from Archicad to Revit. In Germany architects/BIM managers use Archicad, Nemetschek and Vectorworks.

And then there are a dozend plain BIM programms on the market that cost half the price of Revit/Archicad.

I would check the trial versions and then make decision. Since you know Revit already I would stick with it.

This website is called CGArchitect so most of the users are Archviz people, I would check BIM websites for proper information on that topic.

''What is better Revit or ArchiCad?'' what is better an apple or an orange?

WHAT IS BETTER So if you ask me orange is better :D

Anyway I know this is all about CGArchitecture but I am interested what other programs are using and how to interpolate 3ds with BIM, so I think question is on the place, I have no time to register on other forums, maybe on revit (autodesk) later. I dont like Archicad because UI and that is only reason... also I am more interested in revit because big architecture firms use it like you said, and I started to work with it so I am lazy to switch to ArC now. I was watching some German plugins for autocad that bring BIM same like revit in AutoCad enviroment, and it was 3 or 4 times cheaper than revit... Also I will stick with Revit because it is Autodesk same as 3ds, so pipeline will be better than other programs. Just wanted opinion of other people in architecture field :)

What do you think continue with Revit or go with something else?

I have no time to register on other forums, maybe on revit (autodesk) later. I dont like Archicad because UI and that is only reason... also I am more interested in revit because big architecture firms use it like you said, and I started to work with it so I am lazy to switch to ArC now. I was watching some German plugins for autocad that bring BIM same like revit in AutoCad enviroment, and it was 3 or 4 times cheaper than revit... Also I will stick with Revit because it is Autodesk same as 3ds, so pipeline will be better than other programs.

????

Yes but only stupid man doesnt change his mind, if somebody with argument told me something interesting maybe I change my mind :D I want best BIM solution, and I dont have big expirence in BIM so I am on my way but also I want to be secure :) Researching other BIM solutions :D

I use both daily.. but for different purposes.

3DS for Rendering and that wont change.

Revit for Architectural work.. as in actually design and documenting the buildings, but I work in big architecture firm so its a little different.

If you are someone who only does Images or Animations then its good to have a basic working knowledge of Revit, but you dont 'need' it..

I don't see Revit being used in Arch Viz for a long time if ever.

I dont get your comment Siddharth Kolte about difficulties going between Revit and 3DS.. i do it several times a day, exporting things, rendering things, making changes etc.. and not small projects.. multi level train stations, airports etc.

Its not seemless but its not that bad either

Having used both Archicad and Revit, (Archicad 18, Revit 2015), Archicad wins hands down for actual usability from a construction drawing perspective, and their BIM approach is definitely market-leading and incredibly simple in the latest iteration - they are making an effort to get the various BIM programs from a variety of disciplines working together.

Revit gets pushed way, way harder, because the behemoth that is Autodesk (especially in schools, at least here in NZ) has the financial (I assume) ability to do so. Cracks me up listening to convos in my studio... "So what software do you use", "Revit of course", "Why?"...."Ummm cos everyone else is, Archicad is no good for 'big buildings'"... Or something along those lines. The usual rubbish with software when people have no idea and make things up to justify their decision/not look ignorant.

One thing - the GUI on Revit is probably a bit nicer, or at least more modern. I get that a lot, people seem to be confused by Archicad. Also, the lack of NURBS in AC seems to be something else people get hung up on... Just have to laugh at that. Usually comes from architecture students doing their working drawings in Rhino... Enough said there.

Have to say I'm surprised at the difficulty people seem to have with the whole Revit-max operation. I've never had to do it, so can only go off the innumerable threads that litter this, and other forums. AC to max or sketchup is super simple, just export .3DS or .SKP files straight from AC.

Ultimately, I would look at the market you're in - it's the same question as many face with arch viz. Do you go for max, vray, maxwell, c4d, sketchup etc etc. Look at where you're based, see what the market dictates and err toward that. Seems most logical. In NZ, Archicad dominates generally, so I use Archicad. In USA, Revit dominates, so USA-based person would be wise to pursue Revit.

In USA, Revit dominates, so USA-based person would be wise to pursue Revit.

I agree with that, I never see a posting for Archicad, but most of the latest posts are all looking for Revit experience, so I am currently learning Revit. Typical with America, follow the sheep. I personally think DataCAD is/was better for Architecture than AutoCAD, but it isn't as widely used.