So... Corona is oficially out and its got me thinking....

simonm

Hi all

Thought id start a thread on this new render engine which Ive kept my eye on as of the last couple of years. It looks great but ive been too busy to have a play.

I have vray 3 and i love the speed improvements over 2. I am always open to try a new engine but like i said, i need to find the time and its a bit daunting for me since I am always fighting time.

Anyway, for you Corona/Vray dabblers, I wanted to get an insight of the use of Corona and how you felt the transition went from Vray to Corona.

Looking forward to your comments

At home I use Corona, at the office we are still in V Ray 2.x

The transition was actually very quick, in a few hours I got a scene rendering in Corona no sweat. There are lot of script that help you to translate previously created scenes for other render engines but creating a scene from scratch it is very, very quick. Materials work great, with basic control you get very good results. The Gi is very simple to understand, if you are used to use Brute force in V Ray when using Corona will feel simpler and more consistent results.

It is funny, because the complexity of V Ray and variety of controls is what it make a great render engine out of V Ray but compared with Corona, the simplicity of Corona is what it make it a great render engine.

I like that they named it Corona which conjures up having a beer at sunset on a tropical island; which is why they named Apple Apple - positive association.

V-ray sounds like some evil futuristic death ray that's very complicated to operate.

But maybe Vray will continue to follow suit and continue the trend of 3.0 to be more user friendly. (and maybe adjust their pricing structure in light of competition on the horizon).

So, while curious, I'll continue to spend my time improving my rendering skills rather than experimenting with new programs, given a finite number of hours in the day.

Edited by heni30

Easier to understand, not a bazzillion options to set up, etc. There's a great v-ray to corona converter script available also. Vray 3.0 with progressive wasn't that bad but Corona is still easier to use imo.

Oh and the interactive renderer is pretty cool! one of the best way to see the effect of a parameter you would like to change in the settings. you immediately see the result.

subscription model vs Vray box model is also a plus for me!

I am getting the license as soon as I get home! for me it's just the light and reflection/refraction quality that vray can't really compare with (or it can but not with lwf and you still have to push it really hard to do what you want)

They even have a free unrestricted 45 days demo!!! or a discount on subscription if you buy it right now.

I was having some sort of RAM bottleneck issues with an exterior test project I am currently working on but version 1.0 seems to have solved that and the speed has increased as well. If my project goes well within the 45 days I'm in for the boxed licences. So far for interiors it's pretty damn good. I would like to see some more exteriors as well.

+1 would like to see more exteriors too....

I was having some sort of RAM bottleneck issues with an exterior test project I am currently working on but version 1.0 seems to have solved that and the speed has increased as well. If my project goes well within the 45 days I'm in for the boxed licences. So far for interiors it's pretty damn good. I would like to see some more exteriors as well.

I've been testing Corona in production for almost a year. I'm coming from mental ray, never got around to learning V-ray. I've used it mostly on interiors mainly because my deadlines are short and I never had time to convert all my site assets (vegetation/car proxies) over before starting an exterior project. For me, there is no comparison to mental ray. I get very clean renders quickly and with a fraction of the fiddling with settings that mental ray always seems to need. I put in the purchase request to my boss the minute it was released.

Here's an exterior animation done with Corona and its breakdown, done by Rawalanche from the Corona forum. There are lots of exterior examples in the Corona gallery.

• 1 month later...

I like very much Corona render, I think of it as best of both worlds (VRay and Octane in my case).

The only huge downside for me (and many others) is that it is not an industry standard at the moment. If I were to be looking for a job here in UK the most common render engine required is still VRay.

I can see how Corona would be incredibly helpful to freelancers and new studios though.

Still, great renderer.