CGarchitect Visualization Conference Kickstarter

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

Hi all,

If you've not yet seen it, our Kickstarter is live! Please help back our conference and make this the most successful arch viz event in our industry. Deadline is March 31, 2015.

We have an amazing line up of speakers and more are coming soon!

http://conference.cgarchitect.com/

Hope to meet many of you there.

Cheers,

Jeff

• Administrators
Looks to be a brilliant conference! I live in Vancouver and wouldn't need accommodation, are there tickets available for us locals?

Hi Ryan,

You'd want to commute to Whistler each day?! Keep in mind there are cocktail events each night. We don't plan on releasing too many conference only passes before the end of the Kickstarter as we have a financial obligation to the hotel for a set number of rooms, however, I'd be ok to release a few to those that live in the lower Mainland. If you want to book one, let me so I can coordinate releasing a conference only pass to you. Just email me at jmottle@cgarchitect.com The price is $1,599 (This includes everything except the hotel)

• Administrators
So, I can give someone money, so that they can take more of my money, to

hangout with folks and learn more about how to do this http://www.cgarchitect.com/content/portfolioitems/2015/03/110171/H3HC-Paramount_Theatre-02-Cam_Concert-01_large.jpg

dude, I'm there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to figure out if I'm mistaking the sarcasm in your post for excitement or contempt for the hundreds of hours we've put into this event so far. Please clarify so I can respond correctly with my next post.

• 2 weeks later...
Id love to make it over and I hope it reaches its goal.

I know there is some amazing mountain biking in the area. Are the trails still dry(ish) that time of year? Its along way to come from Australia for 2 nights!

The Whistler bikepark would be very much worth it, one of my life-goals. But yes..that's about it for Canada.

Week of vacation, double-ticket (for girlfriend), two round-flight from Vienna, poor euro/dollar ratio, about 6k euros for whole trip. Would rather go to Seychelles :- )

For single north-american, I guess it's ok/manageable price. Still roughly double more than AD in Italy (even if I ate two wagyu steaks a day and perignon bottle).

I lived near Seattle so I've been to Vancouver before, very nice place. Just off-hand.

• Administrators
I'm kind of curious as to why no one is asking why this is in Canada? There seems to be very little chatter about the conference on the forum.

I'd have liked to attend but it's just too expensive unfortunately.

It's in Canada for a couple of reasons. First, I live there, but most importantly due to the exchange rate between US and Canadian dollar it's about 25% cheaper than if it was hosted in the US.

• Administrators

I know there is some amazing mountain biking in the area. Are the trails still dry(ish) that time of year? Its along way to come from Australia for 2 nights!

Of course there are never any guarantees in the mountains, but I'm told that time of year the weather is sometimes nicer than in the summer.

October in BC is typically pretty dry, especially with an extended summer! The Whistler bike park is pretty extreme and awesome, but there's a TON of other downhill/cross country in the North Shore (Grouse, Seymour, Cypress Bowl mountains) and in Squamish (between Van and Whistler).

I'd love to attend the conference but it's just way out of my price range. You can find me climbing in the boulderfields at the base of the Chief instead ;)

Edit*

The riding and climbing is world class here :D

Week of vacation, double-ticket (for girlfriend), two round-flight from Vienna, poor euro/dollar ratio, about 6k euros for whole trip. Would rather go to Seychelles :- )

For single north-american, I guess it's ok/manageable price. Still roughly double more than AD in Italy (even if I ate two wagyu steaks a day and perignon bottle).

I lived near Seattle so I've been to Vancouver before, very nice place. Just off-hand.

I love Vancouver :) I've only been once and it's still one of my favourite places. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat even with the pound being much stronger than the Euro I'd still be looking at £2.5k as a single traveller for flights + conference.

Really hope it gets funded though, it would be great for the industry as a whole.

For me, the timing is unfortunate because I will be at the ASAI conference in Toronto that weekend though, as I expressed earlier, the cost is really prohibitive. for the money, a boot camp of intense hands on workshops like THU holds more appeal starting with the destination.

I understand the all-inclusive spin on things but i have no need to pamper myself or subsidize others when attending a conference. I'm there to learn. At the current price point, the only people who can afford to go are the ones who would benefit least from attending the lectures.

If it happens, then that's wonderful. Anything that encourages and inspires others to be involved and propel the industry forward is magnificent. If it doesn't reach the goal and you are set on a conference as opposed to a roadshow, I'd suggest retooling for an event more centrally located and accessible to your user base. I would think Europe would be a good start but you can pull the data from the last survey and find out easily enough. Also, presenters are important but what they will actually be presenting is even more important so more course descriptions and less CV bios may help sway those on the fence about spending the cash.

this:

I understand the all-inclusive spin on things but i have no need to pamper myself or subsidize others when attending a conference. I'm there to learn. At the current price point, the only people who can afford to go are the ones who would benefit least from attending the lectures.

that: also, this just me I guess, but all this type of interviews, and "glamour shots", etc. ha

well, it doesn't help you guy's cause/ profession

insult to injury, is a tap on the shoulder from where I'm standing, take it or leave it.

• Administrators
Hi Jeff,

Is the cost Us Dollar or Canadian dollar

All of the prices are in USD. Given the strong US vs CDN dollar we were able to reduce the costs significantly by hosting in Canada and leveraging that difference (over 25%)

If it was possible to offer a DVD of the lectures that was available at a reasonable price point, that would be something I'd be interested in. I personally only get to work on ArchViz via Freelance now, so $1,999 plus travel expenses is simply not justifiable. Might be something to think about for next year of the presenters are up for it.

Conferences in general are expensive undertakings, so it would help to know what the presenters are actually speaking about. That would help generate interest as well as ease some of the fears of the bean counters where I work that I'm actually going to learn about things I can actually use.

The other big problem with conferences is how to implement all of the awesome stuff you learn back into your pipeline. I came back from this year's AU with a ton of good things to help our workflow. At the moment, approximately zero of it has been implemented by anyone else but me. So in the end, all I got out of AU was a free week (food + booze too) in Vegas. Which, hey, I'm not complaining but it'd be nice to know that if they send me back or to other conferences that the company will actually get something out of it.

I would be interested if this thing doesn't get fully funded, which I hate to be a wet blanket considering the amount of planning already done but I don't think it will, if the current presenters would at least do in-depth interviews, webcasts', or articles that would be posted to CGA. I would be more than willing to pay for them either as a bulk deal or per article or even a pick-5(or whatever number) deal.

I was thinking the same about a online conference a la "Cineversity" from cinema 4d users, but, if we are talking only about teaching something all these people could do it by them self right? they don't need to deal with time issues and share income and cost, but the main point of Jeff is the networking, to give the opportunity to any one to chat with Alex Roman, or Trond Greve, Matthew Bannister and many more, other wise it would be almost impossible, unless you are applying to work with them. the special ambiance that is created when all of them are together and interacting with each other, that effect can not be created online, at least not yet.

Imagine 'Mr -.-.-' with all his charisma and easy to make friends, even him would have the opportunity to learn something.

Yes it would be great to know exactly what they will talk about it but since they are such great professionals I believe you'll learn more than something for sure. Shoot I being a musician I learn a lot just looking some one else playing for instance.

Now price is a main issue, at least for me, besides timing I have some personal stuff to take care that whole month but besides that all this issues are always there, I don't think there is a perfect situation anywhere, there is not many of this conferences here in USA, most of the cool ones are in Europe, for me still cheaper go to Canada from California than travel to Europe.

I really hope this efford work and maybe next year I can convince my employee to help to finance :p