3m x 2m sign at 150dpi - resolution needed?

Rich O

I know this comes up a lot and I have searched, but I have to render for a sign at street level (that is, eye level, on a fence. Not up high) which will be approx 3m x 2m (about 118 x 78 inches). The client insists on having it at 150 dpi...by my calculations that means a 17,700 x 11,700 pixel render.

is this correct? Also, is this insanely high-def? Like, military-planning-map-on-wall-in-Pentagon kind of high resolution?

Edited by Richard7666

Check with your printer if you can, rarely do they print at that DPI for that size. Your typical print will be 15-50 dpi. Even if they do print at 150, you can still get a pretty high quality print rendering at 1/2 the size you think you need.

Max has a built in render size calculator that is often overlooked. Render Menu -> Print Size Assistant.

Agreed with Scott. 9 times out of 10 printers will ask for 300DPI prints even if it's for a massive billboard such as the one you're doing - it's nonsense. You can render out at ~50 to ~75 DPI and simply scale it up.

Pixels per inch is not equal to dots per inch. Common misconception.

Ah quite right, mine was in PPI (I used Photoshop to calculate it)

Though having said that...

...This gives the same resolution as my Photoshop calculation, 17k x 11k.

The question is, does each "dot" printed correspond directly to each pixel rendered?

Edited by Richard7666

The question is, does each "dot" printed correspond directly to each pixel rendered?

no, that's not correct.

Read this article it will answer all your questions ;)

http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2013/02/26/ppi-vs-dpi-whats-the-difference/

and printers always ask for 300 DPI because their don't want to get the blame of a blurry print ;)