Maxstart problems in 2015

Jock

Hi,

The company I work for have recently invested in buying Max and vray for the office but it means we now have the latest software, both Max 2015 and Vray 3.0 both of which are versions i'm not used to and I seem to falling at the first hurdle in trying to get them set up.

I have the project folder set correctly and I set up my render settings how I want them as default, do a save as and save it into 'scenes' as maxstart but no matter what I do, when i create a new scene, all my render settings are back to their defaults.

Any suggestions?

Into which "scenes" are you saving the maxstart is the question?

You have scenes in your max in documents (or my documents) by default, but if you setup project folders it uses the scenes of the project folder to look for the maxtart file.

To override this you need to check your 3dsmax.ini file for a line:

"MaxStart=.\scenes"

and change it to something like:

"MaxStart=\\server\maxstart\scenes"

I'm probably speaking a bit out of turn here as I don't use a start file, but under the Customize tab you can select Configure User Paths. Scroll down to scenes and Modify the path to what you saved file as your desired file.

This, I believe, is a exactly what Morne has said only an easier way to reach the setting you are looking for.

If you use the user path option AND you setup project folders, the maxtart will need to be in the different project folders each time so you will have to manually copy it there.

If you use the hardcoded INI way to do it, then it will keep that path even if you setup project folders

Got to the bottom of it, and was easier than suspected. The problem being in the new 3dmax a dialogue box came up to start and when you hit new scene it doesnt use maxstart, but if you use 'reset' it does. What I didnt appreciate is that if you just close the start up box, the maxstart is alerady open in the background.

Thanks for your help guys.