How to unwrap a simple geometry

hoseinasadi

Unwrapping has always been an issue for me. I never get a hold of it and honestly its a really complicated thing to learn, at least for me. Ive attached picture of the object that Im going to unwrap, its such a simple geometry and yet I wouldn't know how to approach or where to start the unwrapping process. Ive tried selecting all the faces and apply flatten,normal or unfold options and non of them produce good results. How would you unwrap this model efficiently?

unwrap.png

So those side faces were part of the problem, but there were some other issues with your underlying geometry. I've attached a new file with what I 'think' you were trying to do and Unwrap UVW set up. Take a look at where I've placed edge loops before turbosmoothing. I would usually do Unwrap UVW after turbosmooth, although you can get away with doing it the other way sometimes. I won't go through every step, but I separated the sunken box from the main plane then used pelt mapping on it and a simple unfold mapping on the main plane.

I suggest you have a look at the tutorials I linked to here to familiarise yourself with the process: http://forums.cgarchitect.com/72919-uv-mapping-tutorials.html

Panel_2.zip

So those side faces were part of the problem, but there were some other issues with your underlying geometry. I've attached a new file with what I 'think' you were trying to do and Unwrap UVW set up. Take a look at where I've placed edge loops before turbosmoothing. I would usually do Unwrap UVW after turbosmooth, although you can get away with doing it the other way sometimes. I won't go through every step, but I separated the sunken box from the main plane then used pelt mapping on it and a simple unfold mapping on the main plane.

I suggest you have a look at the tutorials I linked to here to familiarise yourself with the process: http://forums.cgarchitect.com/72919-uv-mapping-tutorials.html

Thanks a lot bud ill post updates as soon as im done studying your file and those tuts.

Cheers.

I managed to unwrap my model without tweaking the geometry like changing edge loops or turbosmooth etc. What I did was to detach the sunken part (as suggested by Stephen ) and applied quick planner to individual parts of each object. Let me know what you think.

unwrappedd.jpg