Sore wrist - change of mouse? suggestions?

simonm

Hi all

Lately my wrist and fingers (right) are getting quiet sore from constant use of the mouse..... the mouse i have is a RAT 7 and i only really use it for 3DS Max/Modelling (no gaming)... just wanted to get some opinions on other mouses out there that can help with general soreness?

Ive looked into products like the 3dconnexion but not sure if its one of those things that look better than what they are..... anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

i used to have the same problem. a while back i upgraded to a Razer mouse which, dare i say it, seems to be a similar kind of mouse to the RAT. that helped for a while, but eventually i started aching again and decided to have a go with a tablet.

that definitely helped, and now i use the tablet for most things, but keep the mouse handy and switch between the 2 every now and again to ease the repetition.

Having an ergonomically adjusted workstation is important. Pay attention to relieve stress points on your tendons - edges of your desk etc... anything that can pinch your muscles and tendons while you work, any unnecessary friction will cause pain over time. Drink lots of water which helps lubrication of your joints and tendons and take breaks too. I find that drinking lots of water causes me to take lots of mini breaks, which works out well. I find that my right pinky finger goes numb with bad posture.

I had serious pain in my wrist a few years ago from mouse use. After a while I realized that the most strain in my muscles came from pushing in the middle mouse button which you do constantly in max for navigating.

I now use a very ordinary Logitech mouse but it has some buttons at the thumb. With the Setpoint software (made by logitech) i set those buttons as the MMB... Problem solved since then! :)

I had serious pain in my wrist a few years ago from mouse use. After a while I realized that the most strain in my muscles came from pushing in the middle mouse button which you do constantly in max for navigating.

I now use a very ordinary Logitech mouse but it has some buttons at the thumb. With the Setpoint software (made by logitech) i set those buttons as the MMB... Problem solved since then! :)

Same here. Map a thumb button to MMB.

I have been wanting to try a rollermouse but I feel the cost is too high for what ultimately would be an experiment. 3D Connexion has a new mouse with a big MMB that looks interesting.

I've been using an Evoluent vertical mouse for several years and my wrist aches are gone. The build quality is somewhat lacking (the rubber detached from the scroll wheel on my old v3, and the chrome finish on the thumb rest is flaking off on the v4 I use now). But ergonomically, I think it's great. A couple other people in the office picked one up after trying mine out.

I was begining to feel pain in my wrist after allnighter, it didn't seem to go away for the next 2 days, so I tried to change from ordinary mouse to a wheel mouse to keep my hand stationary while the thumb is doing all the movement. Its been 2 years since that allnighter and so far so good with Logitech m570:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570

One thing I found annoying is the scroll button, it is a bit far and hard to click for the index finger, but thanks to the logitech software it was easy to assign the scroll/middle button to the one near the wheel.

they also don't lie about battery life, it can really run on 1 battery for over a year!

Edited by artmaknev

I second the wacom tablet. I had to wear a brace on my wrist for a year after getting RSI from using the mouse. At one point I was recommended surgery to fix it, and that was not an option for me. I switched to the wacom and after a year I was back to normal. I now switch between the two 50% of the time. I also started exercising regularly so I wouldnt be surprised if that helped too lol

I second the Evoluent Vertical Mouse - the "vertical" position is more naturally relaxed for the hand than the horizontal position. You can feel this just by holding your hand out (with your elbow where it would be when mousing) and just turn your hand between 45-90 degrees (so your thumb is higher). You can feel the radius bone untwisting and moving more in alignment with the ulnar which reduces tension of the tendons.

I use several of the suggested options here; the navigator (left hand), the wacom (right), a mouse (I find the Logitech Performance MX is nice to use, it is subjective so try first) and the vertical mouse. Sometimes a change is as good as a break.

Also check these out:

http://www.pukme.com/product.php

Edited by TomasEsperanza

It takes a bit of training, but relaxing your grip is also a great help.

I do a lot of drawing with a black fineliner. I have found that if I relax my grip on the pen I end up with far more control over the shading. I tried this approach with my mouse and was amazed at how much it helps.

I've always just used the bog standard Logitech mouses, but on my latest mouse the middle mouse button is very hard, so an upgrade might be worth looking into.

For those who use Wacoms, how do you manage without a middle scroll wheel in 3Ds Max and Photoshop? I share an office with illustrators, and they swear by wacoms and never use a mouse.

Cheers,

Dean

For those who use Wacoms, how do you manage without a middle scroll wheel in 3Ds Max and Photoshop?

You change how you work, and get used to it. For me it's:

- CTRL+Shift+Left Click (drag pen on tablet) = pan

- ALT+Shift+LC = Orbit

- CTRL+ALT+LC = Zoom

I have a touch version so you can also drag your fingers on the tablet for zooming. And there's also a "scroll" button on the pen itself, but it just feels flimsy so i avoid using it.

Photoshop, the same, ALT+Space+drag left/right = zoom in/out.

That mouse that you have is seriously heavy just get a light mouse ~90g or less and (i would) change sensitivity of your mouse so you only ever move it a few inches 2-6 inch........ or maybe your just working to much and you just need to replace that mouse with a beer :)

If you want additional buttons get a Logitech mouse G402 G502

If you just want just mouse get whatever the CSgo community is recommending they seriously care about mice!

Hi all

I have purchased the evoluent vertical mouse 4 and it has been GREAT! It does feel a little plasticy and it took 2 or so days to get used to, but it has already relieved me of my wrist pain. The natural resting position of the hand when using the mouse takes pressure off the forearm which as a result, takes pressure off the wrist - makes sense when you think of it logically.

For those who use Wacoms, how do you manage without a middle scroll wheel in 3Ds Max and Photoshop? I share an office with illustrators, and they swear by wacoms and never use a mouse.

Cheers,

Dean

For 3DSM, I have mapped the upper tablet pen button to be the middle mouse button pressed down. I never use the scroll button for zooming in 3DSM since it tends to cause viewport issues. Not sure what the scroll button does in Photoshop... never use it.