The Control Panel

hoseinasadi

1429427656.jpg

Studio/Institution: Personal
Genre: Industrial Interior
Software: 3ds max,Vray
Description:

Hey guys. Ive been working on this project for a while now. The idea is not mine and I tried to replicate the scene from another CG artist whom work was inspiring to me. There are obviously some minor changes so its not completely copied. Anyway this scene is obviously W.I.P and I thought itd be a good idea to have other peoples opinions about it along the way till its done. Comments and critiques are most welcome and tell me whats there to be altered or improved in order to get a better looking image. Im not aiming for photo realism here but I want to make a fine CG result at the end.

Edited by hoseinasadi

Can you post the inspiration work as well of the other CG artist too so that we can know where its at or what you are going for.

My suggestion overall would be to get real-life references, think on this what did your inspiration CG artist look at when he created his master piece. I would ask the following questions to make it better.

1. How old/abandoned the area is?

2. What is the reason behind the rusting of the metal/panel?

3. Was there a struggle like what was the reason that it got shut down. Was it a conflict? or did they just leave it like one day.

4. Where is the Panel located is it in the Jungle or is it in a quarry or like is it in a mine?

To make a convincing CG work it should have a story behind it, The more you think about it there are more details that you can add accordingly thus leaving a mark on the final render.

There is light from somewhere as shown by the reflection on the table so I would not have 100% black areas. This would give you more depth.

The 3 electrical conduits are too bright and new looking - they don't blend in overall. The perspective taper seems gratuitous - I would straighten verticals. The steel handle seems a little puny. Also there would probably be a bracket around it to attach it to the opening in the table.

Textures look great - very convincing.

• 3 weeks later...

it doesnt look like a control panel. That the issue. If you had not siad it was a control panel i would have thought it was just sheets o f metal. I would start with something easier and progress to this later. As the texture maps seem ok. There nothing of interest for the viewer. i would start with following some tutorials. You will learn more and understand how to take on this project . i think thats the best advice you will get

Edited by hansolohan

its a nice sheet of metal nice texture.T here are areas were there black gaps its just a nice texture . unless you model some more put some wires in using a spline add a back drop behind the panels some pipingsome rusty piping

Thanks for the tips man. Yea this scene obviously needs more objects in it. Will be posting updates soon.

Cheers. :)