i have abed texture using vray render engine. Qeustion regarding the material

jonathan Evans

I have a duvet created in marvelous designer. ive applied the material in mavelous designer.what i understand is light colours bounce more light were dark colours absorb light. I was wondering how reflective is a cotton duvet properties.

As im using vray should i change the imported material to vray material . Will the option be available to apply the texture back on to the object.

the room has other items which ive not rendered . I wanted to test the material with a quick render time

Ive also added a room with the cover which was under a studio light set up

duvet bounce light.jpg

covers.jpg

When rendering with vray you should allways use vray materials. I am not familiar with marvelous designer, but if you have the ability to check the settings of the material in marvelous designer, you could just copy those values into the vray material and see if that works out as a good starting point. When it comes to the amount of reflection you should use, the answer is "whatever looks right", as you could either create a pretty basic material with just numeric values for everything, perhaps go a bit further and use some bumps/normals and custom reflection maps, or go completely bananas and use SSS materials and whatnot, so i guess there is no standard answer.

Howdy Han :)

I was doing similar not long ago:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/13532651/Bed

https://www.behance.net/gallery/14532209/Curtains

As I recall, you can acquire some texture maps, and maybe a basic shader, from MD. As Nicolai said, it is best to convert materials to V-Ray type shaders. This maybe as simple as right-clicking in the viewport in Max, and clicking "V-Ray scene converter" (or something like that). Alternatively maybe just use the MD maps and create your own V-Ray shader, or start the materials from scratch in max. Retaining the UV's with the mesh is the most important thing.

In MD keep an eye on the export settings and formats, to see what options for saving materials are offered.

I am anewbie ive only been using 3d for around 2 months / tthe image is attched is just quick test material render not the scene or final scene

here is my current material n the scene and seem to be ok . Its just standard material no reflection.

As guessing the reflection property can blow out scene . Using a very high reflection on a property can bounce a alot of light. i noticed which can increase render times and make the screen completely white . This happend on the scene several times when i was trying to get the property of a refection map on the walls and floor

I dont know if any one had similar scene when the vray daylight system used a value of whte which is just below the colour of white for the walls . I used a value of around 240 . Ive read 250 is not good bouncing light or the colour absolute white of 250 is not good practice

when using glass of course i used a relective with higher value . the walls did create an issue as described above

bed material.jpg

Edited by hansolohan

ive attched the material maps below ive used cotton maps .

The cotton map dark blue was used for the duvet. The white cotton was used for the cushions which currently have to much air in them

any one use some different material maps please post and share,. These was the one ive used

cheers

dark blue cotton.jpg

texture map.jpg

Those maps seem fine. Are you using maps in the other channels?; reflectivity, bump, glossiness, etc. De-saturated versions of your diffuse map will often do, and take you a big step towards realism. Note: Everything is reflective... that's EVERYTHING ;) How reflective and how blurry is something else. If the scene is blown out when using realistic materials, then your lighting or exposure is too strong.

i set up my scene in gray scale value using vray materials and the scene was not blown out. when using this value after making some changes to the value of the sun. i post this grey scale value below. Once i add the reflection map to the white walls 240 . Thats when the scen became blown out white . I was only rendering the walls andfloor on this test

Nope not using any bump or reflection maps on the duvet.I will apply them based upon your advice. AS there is a bump slot in marvelousee designer .Import them back in 3ds max . The walls in 3ds max i i was using a reflection map when the scene got blown out white . ive took the reflection map off recently

To test the white wall issue i could render the scene again. i post the maps and scene before its blown out white . as a test

room with light.jpg

Ive uploaded the reflection map . It placed in the reflection slot theres only reflection map on the wall ive changed no paramaters . I crossed out in red were i thought the reflections wouldnt occur .The floor reflections on the wall would occur . Thewidow reflecting there own relfctions is that possible im unsure .

This not based upon real wall material as i understand it would not be this reflective . I was checking to why my scene might have blown out white . when i used a reflection map on the wall . ive attched the reflection map i used both files are attachhed

reflections.jpg

Wall_scratches.jpg

The thing is, testing your lighting without reflectivity is giving you false affirmation that the scene lighting is realistic. If you add an normalised amount of reflectivity to your grey test material, it will give you a much better idea of how the light and the scene would behave in the real world. Try 10% reflectivity, 50% glossiness, 50% roughness, turn on IOR at 1.6. This should give you a better idea of the light contribution to the scene. You can use the Right mouse click over the V-Ray render buffer window to measure the RGB values of different parts of your image. Your grey should average around 128,128,128, but it will vary a lot according to how much light and shadow affects a surface. Then having adjusted your lighting, your realistic materials (with reflectivity) should look better as they will behave with the light in a more physically appropriate way. If you initially light your scene with a V-Ray Sun and Environment this will help to find a ballpark brightness for your scene lighting and exposure. I wouldn't bother with bitmaps for the walls for the time being.

Edited by TomasEsperanza

I should test the scene with a low reflection on all the objects . ok I was informed before to test a scene with no reflection on objects . OK maybe some more may say add a low level of reflection on the materials when testing the objects i give it quick test render try

Edited by hansolohan

What are you lighting the scene with? Like I was saying: it is important to have a realistic level of lighting in the scene, so some kind of standardised quantity of light will likely be helpful. A V-Ray Sun is very easy to implement, then you can balance the other light sources against it. Without some sort of "meter" your light could be too bright, but the materials and exposure etc. can trick you into thinking it looks ok at first, but subsequently you often get blown out areas where they shouldn't be, because the light is too bright.

For white walls the top guys recommend using something in the range of 160-180 (diffuse). Then you can adjust the reflective amount to suit your scene but something like 60 reflection, .75 glossiness, fresnel on should be a good starting point. In your earlier test you had the reflections very high, the reflections were not blurred at all, and fresnel was off.

For cloth if you are using vray 3.0 turn on the GGX BRDF and set the tail falloff to something like .7-1.0. That combined with a higher than you think would work well reflection and a very glossy (blurry) reflection glossiness like .5 or lower will give you a easy believable fabric. If you don't have 3.0 then you can use a falloff map in the diffuse map to fake the lightening at glancing angles that are often seen on fabric materials.

Check out youtube for some basic tutorials on material creation and scene setup and vraymaterials.de for some materials to check out how they were setup.

ok thanks for the reply. Im doing some tests today. On my test s ive noticed that a 3ds max reflection map does have different properties to v ray refection map . A vray reflection map has ray trace were the 3ds max raytrace is seperate.

with these tests i have noticed changing the diffuse value with a refection map in place to pure white or black would affect the scene . These are the values that could have given me the washed out effect . I have my sun around 100 to 150 not over kill . i am carrying on the tests on a simple plane and cube

as an example i have blue and red spot in the middle similar to a flag I noticed no matter the colour of the reflection map. If the change the diffuse value to white this does affect the colour of the reflection map . Black keepsthe colour value at 100 percent. A slight change in the black vale of the diffuse to slight grey the relfection map value nealry loses all its colour and changes to white .

I will post my results . That could have been a reason as might have had the diffuse colour on slight grey with the reflection map i post later

Edited by hansolohan

Here are the tests now can see how the reflection map vray has different values . How the colour of the diffuse channel can affect the final reflection map . When the diffuse map was of 100 percent black . The reflection map is original 100 percent original map colour When the map is more towards a gray value the reflection map becomes more white . When the map was white the reflection map became mostly all white th e spot is barely visible.

This could have been a reason why my scene was nearly all white in the render as applied the reflection map in my scene. I applied to the walls based upon the tests and image ive attached can see how the white in the diffuse can make the reflection map mostly white no matter the colours of the map

the values of black and white in the diffuse slot = the scene is 100 percent = black 80 percent = grey and white = 0 percent

v ray refelction map.jpg

Edited by hansolohan

I am using a fresnel reflection around 2.5 to a value of 3. for the wood material for the draws. I didnt have any on before. I will post some updates on the walls later this evening . Since i have disabled the reflection map im gonna post the room with materials added on all objects . get some feed back and some evaluation then. As each material property will contribute to the room.

wood material.jpg

I have created the floor now the white render blwo out has dissapeared. I can see some noise developing not sure which sub divs i should increase . Is it the glossy reflefections that generating the noise.

Grant Warwick have covered this in his vray render optimization video on finding the noise source by adding different render elements and inspecting them individually. Try adding following elements and study each of them separately and hopefully you'd get to the noise source, although im gonna guess that its probably the material or light subdivs.

vray elements:

vraysamplerate,vrayglobalillumination,vraylighting,vrayreflection,vrayspecular