Stool for stand-up desk.....

mi75

Hey,

How many people here have a standup desk?

I've been working at a standup desk for about a year now. And only the past few months full time, before that I was an onsite contractor sitting all day and working other jobs at night standing.

Ever since I've been standing full time I no longer have any back pain or tightness in the legs, its defiantly the best option for me.

Anyway to the point of the thread.

I cant find a stool/drafting chair that has a seat height high enough for my desk. I'm not short (187cm) and my desk height is (111.5cm).

I figure I need a base seat height of about ~880mm......

Has anyone else had problems finding a drafting stool tall enough? I just feel I need to rest my legs for a couple of hours each day.

I'm in AU so if anyone knows anywhere local that would be great.

Mart

Edited by mi75

Can we have a look at the table?

I've seen old drafting stools that have a screw shaft and you just turn

it to raise of lower the seat.

If you're into wood working you can build this!

drafting_stool.jpg

Edited by heni30

Tired of those interminable meetings.... that go on and on?

Have everyone propped on one of these "stools" around a 3rd level table and bingo - your meeting is miraculously all done in 15!

Or even less after one of your 3 Martini lunches!

okay heni30, when I said I enjoy wood work on the side I didn't mean I could build a stool like that. I'm talking a pergola out the back and basic furniture. Something like that would be cool thou.

Thanks for the link Clive, I'll email them to see how high the seat goes. You could work on you balancing skills while watching the buckets render:p

The plan for the last few months has been to hide the cables.

One day!

Moving to an office soon so this desk will probable get retired and a better one built to fit the new space.

desk.jpg

Have you got one Clive?

No... I slouch on a cheap task chair I misappropriated from a former employer before it went in the skip! My back must be made of pig-iron!

Any idea what they're worth?

They're Wilkahn so they're not going to be cheap, I've specc'ed them dozens of times in Europe and they're kinda pricey there but I've no idea landed in Aus, it could be horrible! I'm sure there'll be some Sino - knock-off's available somewhere though.

Good luck

sorry to derail but what kind of standing desk do you have?

id like to get one for home

a few years ago i got one of these. i like the fact you can adjust the overall width to suit your space, use your own top and so on.

it's also easily raised and lowered so i use it mainly in the raised position but lower it to a standard sitting position every so often.

https://heightadjustabledesks.com/cat/7/winding-handle-height-adjustable-desks-table-frames

Maybe this is what you need...

http://ilcaustralia.org.au/products/4307

It isn't a sit-on stool more a prop stool, to take the weight off for a few minutes at a time, extends to 900.

Don't want you getting soft and sitting down do we? :)

an alternative, though a bit pricey, but they are well built and similar kind of concept:

http://www.aeris.de/en/muvman/

i got one of the Swopper stools but wish I'd gone for the Muvman instead. If there's anyone in the London area that wants to do a swap (or wants to buy my Swopper), it has barely been used (as it's not really high enough to use with the standing desk), is really ergonomic and comfy, and looks great:

http://www.aeris.de/en/swopper/

• 3 weeks later...

Problem solved for less than $100 :D

- Bought a stool from IKEA (way too short, I knew this before buying)

The stool came with a flat timber top (very uncomfortable!)

- Replaced the legs with home-made longer ones.

- Bought some foam and glued it to the top and put some fabric over the foam.

Done!

Its not the most comfortable stool for long periods due to the seat size but its great for a 20min rest when the feet get tired.

IMG_0376.jpg