A way to assign spare mouse buttons as hotkeys in Max?

branskyj

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to assign the forward/back mouse buttons (not the main two but the smaller side buttons) as hotkeys in Max.

Does anybody know if there is a way to do that?

I tried to do so through Customize/Customize User Interface but that of course did not work :(

Thanks everybody.

Coming from ACAD i used to have F3 and F8 on my mouse. Now i use them in combination with Shift/Alt/Ctrl to create shortcuts in other apps like Sketchup. This works in Max as well.

(of course you can assign any key to the mouse buttons if your mouse software supports key assignment - you don't have to use the F-keys.)

Hey numerobis,

How exactly did you manage to assign the forward/back mouse buttons as hotkeys in Max?

Because I tried again now through the Customize/Customize User Interface but Max won't register them in the Hotkey dialog box. Normally when you punch in a key it would be displayed in that box but nothing appears there when I press the mouse buttons.

I also tried in combination with Shift/Alt/Ctrl but didn't work either.

Did you use a third party software?

Thanks a lot, mate.

Edited by branskyj

Aha, I see. I will see what Steelseries have on their web-site, Dejan.

Just out of curiosity- when you do that through SetPoint, what do you see that is related with 3DS Max? I don't suppose you see things in SetPoint such as "...assign forward button to Loop/Ring edges".

Cheers to you too, mate.

Max sees it as whatever keystroke you assigned to that button, all of Windows sees it the same. You basically say: I want the back button to act as the space bar or left Ctrl or F4 or whatever...

I can't set the back and forward buttons to do anything in max, either, but it's possible to set up different profiles for the mouse, so you can switch between them and not have to reassign the buttons back.

I use "X-Mouse Button Control". Its free and allows you to setup application profiles etc....

Thanks, Martin. I will try that one tonight.

I gave the Steelseries Engine 2 a try the other day but it doesn't allow assigning things to the mouse buttons.