Design and Pricing Software

Matt Sugden

Hi, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I'm currently designing a project, an affordable housing scheme, and I am wanting to scrutinise every nut, bolt, screw and washer.

I'm looking for some CAD software which will generate quantities of building materials from the 3d model. I had thought about modeling everything in max and being super careful with naming conventions for all the items, and then using this to add up quants, but there must be a more intelligent way of performing this task. I just think it is going to take to long to do it this way and if I make a change it will not automatically update.

I've seen some software called estimator express, but it seems a bit low tech and inflexible in terms of the modelling side of things, it seems to be aimed at joe bloggs builders inc.

Can anyone suggest some alternatives?

A QS is not what I want at this stage, I'm wanting to be able to make instant design decisions based on intelligent feedback generated from an automated bill of quantities. So if I draw a smaller window in an elevation, knowing the cost of the small window compared to the larger one, how that will effect the cost of the additional cladding/battens/felt needed instead etc. If I make a stud wall 1m longer or put a corner in it, what cost difference that makes in terms of extra bags of render, acoustic insulation, decoration, right down to the extra cost of the drywall screws. Revit looks like it might have this facility. Thanks Chris

At risk of stating the obvious:

Remember that software won't tell you the whole story as far as "quantifying" costs are concerned. Obviously if you have 10 lineal metres of curved wall as opposed to 10 lineal metres of straight wall, or even just unusual angles of intersections, actual building costs can go up markedly.

Neil's suggestion is probably the best one, if you worked at an early stage in collaboration with a good QS you could genuinely come up with affordable housing as opposed to simply attributing a value to every nut, bolt and washer, which may only fluke a result at best.

You and your client would probably find it an investment that more than pays itself back.

Sorry thought I should say it anyway.