Free individual brick textures

Hey chaps,

I am sure many of you are aware of the Brix plugin that surfaced a year or two ago, and a couple of other similar things also pop up from time to time, but there is a way to achieve the same result for free.

5720 - Bonds Mill - Brickwork Test.jpg

Bercon Tiles and Multitexture now work with eachother so that you can use Multitexture to load multiple/random brick bitmaps into the Bercon Tiles plugin that will position them.

Here's a set of bricks I shot a week or so ago, with bump & alpha masks:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5cPd0BuCqoFTUVJOUxoNmxDMDA

I imagine the process to be fairly self explanatory, however if there is enough interest I can write a tutorial.

Thanks a bunch Chris. I would love to get more insight on the mapping setup for BerconTile. I have been spending hours trying out different combinations of mapping without getting the tiling result I wanted - only time this works is if 3ds max is in generic units...

So a tutorial or just a write up on the mapping is something I think would be very helpful (seems many others have a hard time wrapping their heads around the mapping part and no real usable help is out there on google).

Closest I've come when working in cm units is this setup:

Bricks don't seem to use different bitmaps, I can't get correct tiling on the width of the wall and it looks like it takes one of the "alpha" brick maps without tiling it and puts that on top of all edges = dark edge all around the wall's edges.

There are no UV modifier on the wall itself, as I assume all UVs should be controlled in the BerconTile map right?

CNiOM8S.png

result:

ekIX6oXl.png

cL6QQcP.png

PJdo3uE.png

Edited by jensandersen

You will need a UVW map to control the tiles size with real world map size enabled. Brick sizes (uk) will be 225mm wide by 75 high - your mortar size will be subtracted from this.

Check "Randomize multitexture and bercon gradient" to make it pick up the different bricks.

I work in real world units cm, and i tend to set the mapping (in bercon tile, the top most folder/flap/thingy) to channel 2, then apply an uvwmap with real world scale on channel two to the geometry. Thanks for the textures Chris! The material looks really nice in the shot you provided.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Getting closer, but still not there yet. The purple brick is 22.5cm x 7.5cm (as is the tiling units in the Bercon map).

3BUPztb.png

Ci7eIUr.png

So sizes are not exact I guess.

Yeah I've read the post on Klaas' site before, but I'm afraid it didn't answer all questions. I just found out that I had to set the filtering on the multi texture map to "none". Else I kept getting that result you see above. That discovery also made me set edges to "0" and use the textures completely instead. I could finally see them ;)

+ vray displacement and it is starting to look better (forget to check "Keep Continuity", but the displacement is taking insanely long for some reason?).

QHoO2hR.png

• 1 month later...

Hey Chris

This looks great, currently trying to replicate your result. I'm keen to know where you've loaded the Alpha maps for those bricks? Do they go in the edge slot?

It would be good if you could post the Bercon Tile setup you used so we can see what goes where and how you've set it all up.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...