Win 10

komyali

I would never in a million years upgrade my OS on a production machine at the day 1 release. I would wait until at least SP1 for windows 10 and service packs for Max that make it a bit more stable.

That being said, I'm totally going to install it on my personal PC and check it out tonight.

That picture is spot on, I've long thought microsoft were mimicking Intel's "tick tock" strategy, with the only difference being that every other release is terrible.

My work PC hasn't come up with the upgrade icon yet, which is slightly annoying. Perhaps it's something to do with it being Dell/OEM?

That picture is spot on, I've long thought microsoft were mimicking Intel's "tick tock" strategy, with the only difference being that every other release is terrible.

My work PC hasn't come up with the upgrade icon yet, which is slightly annoying. Perhaps it's something to do with it being Dell/OEM?

Probably because you have an OEM SLP license.

Just a slight word of warning - i have two pc's (one as main workstation and one as renderslave) both decent spec. Updated both to windows 10 last night - the renderslave (i7 2600k + GTX580) worked flawlessly - everything working exactly as it was before, all software + plugins etc came across great. But, on the main workstation (i7 4930k + quadro k4000) there were some serious issues - max wouldn't load up properly, autocad didn't even open (missing .dll), google chome crashed on startup, and all photoshop plugins were missing!!!! Completely unworkable! Luckily there was an option to roll back to win8.1 which only took about 15mins and everything was back to normal before the upgrade.

After a bit of googling, i think it could be to do with the nvidia drivers, but not 100% clear on the problem or if there's a solution on the way. Bit concerned as the rollback feature is only available for the first month after win10 release which would mean if i attempt it in 6 weeks and all those software issues are still present then i'm pretty screwed.

Anyway, if anyone else has had similar problems or a solution to it, please share as i'd really like to upgrade asap.

Stevie.

Probably because you have an OEM SLP license.

I don't know what SLP is, but my laptop is Dell and I am being stalked by the quartered trapezoid that is Win10.

I may be asked to either update to WX or not because of 3D app beta testing. If not, I'll stick with W7 for the time being. My computers work rather well at the moment.

I don't know what SLP is, but my laptop is Dell and I am being stalked by the quartered trapezoid that is Win10.

I may be asked to either update to WX or not because of 3D app beta testing. If not, I'll stick with W7 for the time being. My computers work rather well at the moment.

OEM SLP means it does not verify license with Microsoft servers. You can't use the installer Jason Stewart suggested.

COA SLP means it does verify license with Microsoft servers. You will have to input the license printed on the sticker on the computer case.

On a slightly different note Windows 10 will spy on you by default, if you want to keep your personal data private you need to do a little computer brain surgery. Apparently in the 12,000 page agreement you must accept in order to use the software there's this little gem that gives them the right to do it.

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/windows-10-spying-almost-everything-opt-130502898.html

have installed on my personal surface pro (not for work) and it works like a dream so far!! Loving the xbox one straming, absolutely no lag at all!!!!

A little hesitant to run it on my workstations at this stage... i might ponder it for a week or so....

I installed it and everything (photoshop with all its plugins, lightroom, 3ds max and vray) until now is working as it was before except for forest pack and rail clone which I had to reactivate the licences (didnt take a minute through the licence manager).

Just a note from my previous post where the update didn't go smoothly. I had to remove all Visual C++ Packages (programs and features > uninstall all Microsoft visual C++ related software, i had about 16 versions of it) and reinstall it all via VC_RedistInstaller.exe (downloaded here: http://forum.botoflegends.com/topic/74578-msvcp100dll-is-missing-windows-10/)

Anyway, after doing so everything is Perfect again! Only tweak was to reinstall iToo Software licenses, as Mazen said, but apart from that it's all exactly as it was on Win 8.1.

And i'm loving the Win10 features. Full OS seems quicker, cleaner and better in almost every aspect. Very pleased with the upgrade.

Just upgraded and at first glance everything appears to be okay...

Some things that have happened though;

1 - Primary display didn't work until I updated NVidia drivers

2 - Wacom display (24 hd touch) displaying at weird resolution - required driver update. All is working fine EXCEPT the touch function seems to affect the other screen, not the one you're actually touching (if that makes sense?). If i touch in the bottom corner of my wacom display, it brings up the start menu as if I'd clicked it on the other display. The pen however works as before, no issues.

3 - Just started up 3Ds max and VRay (no issues), created a couple of instances of railclone/forest pro - no issues at all, though haven't actually rendered anything yet. Railclone didn't need re-activation, though this could be because we have a floating network licence.

I should probably mention my update was from Windows 7.

[Edit] Microsoft appear to have decided your music does not require bass any more. The sound quality is fine, but there is absolutely no bass on anything regardless if it's being streamed through chrome, or played through windows "groove music".

Whether this is by design or a driver fault I do not know. However what I do know is that it sounds absolutely shite, like someone's put a high pass filter on it.

[Edit] It is apparently not a driver issue; I've installed the latest ones and the problem persists. Apparently I am not alone, a quick google search of "windows 10 no bass" turns up a lot of results.

Edited by Macker

it sounds absolutely shite.

Maybe using something like the realtek hd audio manager and go to the sound effects tab and using the bass preset?

I haven't tried it but it might work :D. It's a bit a silly work around though and doesn't really solve the core of the problem.

My bass seems to be fine in my win10 tho. check that you don't have multiple drivers maybe, could be a conflict? Or has win10 brought back to life some old setting you had?

I just found this forum post, it sounds like the same issue but when people upgraded to 8.1. They seemed to fix it though http://www.eightforums.com/sound-audio/33697-windows-8-1-changed-bass.html

Hope you figure out :)