Distributed rendering over wifi?

Hello,

This might be a silly technical question, but i am not sure if i can solve this. Hence, the post.

So i have 2 computers at my home. One of them is the workstation(computer A) and other is a spare one(B). the B is connected via wifi to the internet, and A has connection directly to the router via lan cable. A has network sharing enabled for all the drives over wifi as well, so B can access all the project files and necessary documents. ( most of the data is only on A ) Both have exactly the same configurations, and software versions running.

Now my question is, is it possible to use B as a slave for vray distributed rendering on A? If so, how do i go about it?

Any advice would be highly helpful.

I am running max2014 and vray 3.2

you just need to run the VRay DR on your B machine, that's all.

V Ray should be able to find the license and distribute your job.

Now DR over WIFI is not reliable, unless your connection is very consistent, you may notice that your render node connect and disconnect very often.

I would recommend to drag your machine close to the router and connect it with a cable.

As Francisco wrote, should you have a reliable LAN connection, DR should work.

Your router does create a LAN that includes all wired and wifi connections alike.

It is almost a given that the wifi connected devices will be a tad slower in sending and receiving data, but there is little chance that your DR node will be connection limited - even if you have a 54Mbps connection, the CPU will be utilized @ 100%.