Light leaking error with IES lights

yp

Hello again,

I'm getting really frustrated by getting stuck on this strange error for honestly hours now. Decided to pass it over to the forums, hope someone can solve it.

I have an interior scene, a pool, fully concrete, lights under water and from the ceiling.

Beside: there is some strangeness with getting realistic (better convincing) results of water with caustics when you have lights both over and under the water (backside passing light differently, so a shell of eg. 1cm seems to be the solution - even though a single plane just looks more juicy but the lights on the pool bottom are kinda "inverted"... I might open up another thread for this)

Sorry for OT, getting back now: scene is only illuminated by interior lights. For demonstration purpose of this error all lights on the ceiling are switched off, the pool lights are on (yet no fixtures visible).

The problem: the IES lights on the ceiling do leak (more than leaking, not blocked at all) through the concrete over the skimmer and make the area below too bright.

A normal vray plane light works properly (if not placed too close), in this example with a similar light intensity, placed on the ceiling.

See example render attached.

:/

Any idea why?

Vray 2.3, Max 2013 Design

Problem_Lightleak_Planelight_Error_Comparison.jpgpencil.png

Problem_Lightleak_Viewport.jpg

Hey Jay,

thanks, but that didn't solve it.. :/

Subpixelmapping shouldn't really have something to do with it and the lights should be visible in the reflections, so specular should remain ticked - anyways switching them off didnt't do it. Hm..

It's not a render quality settings issue by the way, high settings still giving the same error - but in a better quality though ;) (Ok, bad joke.)

I'm open for other guesses still :)

Jay, thanks for your suggestion, what do you mean exactly?

A standard free ies?

Actually didnt solve it too (with vray or native ies), but I narrowed it down somehow:

the distance between the surfaces matters.

I put two boxes in the same distance and somewhat further and the problem persists.

At a certain distance the error disappers.. (last image shows no error)

Please see images attached, maybe that helps someone brighten me up. ;)

Light_Leak_Distance_even_more far_no_leaks.jpg

Light_Leak_Distance_more far.jpg

Light_Leak_Distance.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I guess I did recreate the IES light several times with different IES files..

But I'll try again and report back here.

I'm on another part of the project right now but have to face that issue sooner or later anyways.. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, solved..

It sat right in front of my screen.

For some reason, maybe a "you-should-never-change-system-units-in-a-file"-problem relict (I guess),

the shadow bias was set to 20cm and therefor was shifted too much.

One of those DOH moments.

Anyways, if someone experiences similar problems, this might be a cause.

Thanks for your help, guys!