shipping container diffuse maps test

jonathan Evans

I am building a shipping container i have painted some test runin photoshop of the shipping container side small section. i trying to make a relastic look , ive read that its best to paint a flat looking map with no highlights or lights shining from one side . Is this lloking right any advice and tips welcome

my shipping contianer texture.jpg

painted texture 2.jpg

painted texture1.jpg

ok this how i had first used the ambient occlusion map ive posted the ao map . then i over layed it painted by over laying the layers photoshop .

i will now instead use the render setting in final gather or use the vray engine and add the ambient occlusion map at render time Remove all shadows and ambient occlusion from my diffuse texture

light omni .jpg

diffuse.jpg

The diffuse texture is just one part of the overall shader. I think your diffuse map looks like a good start.

To me, the first thing that jumps out at me is the glossiness of the shader. Overall, it's too glossy and then you will need some sort of reflection map (probably based on your diffuse map) to control the overall reflectivity of the shader. You can also turn AO on at the shader level to get a little more detail in the crevices.

Lastly, you might need to render the test using more than the default lights in order to see how the shader is really looking.

this the shipping contianer just a logo as texture map and no glossy map. it quite convincing but you can see i am a beggiinner.

I post my results with mental ray render because i couldnt get strong ambient occlusion in the mental ray render

ive posted my results with the mental ray render . I have made it available to download . any advice on increasing the ambeint occlusion or more realisit crender in either vray or mental ray . would be appreciated

SHIPPING  CONTANER.jpg

mentalray model.jpg

Edited by hansolohan

Your texture is definitely too low resolution. If it´s a seamless texture, you need to tile it.

For AO (though you should not do this just to get darker corners, your renderer does it for you; think about this as dirt just as in real world and where it usually piles up) look here- http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/10/vray-dirt-tutorial This gives you tools, but what values work is a matter of experimenting.

Your texture is definitely too low resolution. If it´s a seamless texture, you need to tile it.

For AO (though you should not do this just to get darker corners, your renderer does it for you; think about this as dirt just as in real world and where it usually piles up) look here- http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2009/10/vray-dirt-tutorial This gives you tools, but what values work is a matter of experimenting.

ive attached the new foiles please see attached . i didnt use any texure in the end apart rom a logo and the ambeint occlusion has been added at render time

if bake any ambreint occlusion in future projects. i use is it as dirt map which is popular in games

mentalray model.jpg

SHIPPING  CONTANER.jpg

Edited by hansolohan