Best method for exterior walls

ericfleming

Hi all,

I am trying to learn 3D architecture visualization and I am in the early stages of study.

I am using a book titled, "3D Max Design Architecture Visualization" by Brian Smith (with other supporting authors). In this book he explains a preferred method in creating exterior walls using Loft & ProBooleans (staring on page 114). I've tried this method and it seems to work well especially in relation to cutting out the window and door areas.

The example in the book has an exterior wall with the total even height all around the building (like the green wall in attached sample image). I am currently working on a cottage type of house that has several peaks along the roof line and I am wondering how to best approach this type of exterior wall where the roof line varies (like the purple wall in attached sample image).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks much,

Eric

sampleImage.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The best method is the one that works best for you. Personally, I have moved away from modeling houses/buildings as you show, which was how I learned. Instead, I build the facades flat, in top view since that's how cad files typically come in, then rotate them into place.

As for your roof lines.. these are done quite easily. In the case of your picture, the best method would be to put a cut in the middle of the top face (where the roof peak will be), then simply drag it up. May need to make adjustments, but that's basically it.

Good luck!

There's a series by Veronica in which she models a scandinavian house using poly modeling that is the best I've seen on this particular topic, it's in slovenian but it's quite easy to follow anyway even without understanding what's being said.

Here are the links:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Also I uploaded the CAD files Juraj posted if you want to follow along here:

CAD Files

Cheers.

Edited by dantevargas

I agree that there is not one perfect technique. Learning many, and using what you know will accomplish what you need quickly and accurately is the best method.

I remember reading that book and Brian's suggestion of using a Loft compound object contradicted what I knew of using a Sweep modifier, but there are some unique outlying situations where the Loft could be more efficient, and that can only be understood after learning how to use both techniques.

Personally for most situations I use a combination of splines with sweep modifier or extrusion modifier, and then probooleans modifier as a last resort only if it will save a considerable amount of time.

Just wanted to add this bit about modeling roofs themselves. Developed this method on my own, but it's prob known already..

Draw all roof planes flat in top view with closed splines. Attach them all together and turn into editable poly. Then simply select and drag the appropriate verts. Might need separate sections for peaks that aren't at the same height as others. Once the you have all the peaks set, add a Shell modifier for thickness. You can keep going adding more detail if you want, like the little joists under the eaves, etc. See my example to get the basic idea.

Screen_Shot_2016_05_05_at_4_03_58_PM.png

Edited by spacecase

NO! Booleans are not allowed in this studio. Only under extreme circumstance and with special permission. You should learn how to model in quads. Always have welded verts with proper edge loops. Yes, it takes a little more time - but is saves you headaches down the road.

NO! Booleans are not allowed in this studio. Only under extreme circumstance and with special permission.

When everything that I rendered originated within Max, I would have agreed. But I am over it. I take models from sketchup and revit and get clean renders out of them on a regular basis. Booleans are never my first option, but if I am going to accept half-baked meshes from other sources then I guess I just may not be as picky as I used to be with booleans.

Plus the headaches used to be much worse from using booleans many releases ago, they have improved a little, and the understanding of the problems that are created by using them are well documented.

Edited by beestee

• 3 weeks later...

As long as your view remains from either the outside or the inside, but never both in one set of renders, you've no need to give your walls a thickness. Draw a line in plan view, extrude to height, convert to edit poly and use a series of connects to give you a vertical line dividing a wall, then pull that centre point up to the underside of the pitch of your roof. To get the openings of your windows to have a thickness use the connect tool once again to create the window openings, then select 'polygon' , in sub object then extrude into the model. Tricky to explain, easier to do.

Edited by JeremyRamsay

So far this year I like to extrude the top face of the wall up above the roof then use quickslice on selected faces in elevation, snapping to the roof.

One could just move the top higher than the wall, but I like the level edge loop at "wall top" height. Hmm, but I suppose a reason for that is because I model my openings with loops and deleted faces rather than boolean; so it may be less of an issue for you.

There's a series by Veronica in which she models a scandinavian house using poly modeling that is the best I've seen on this particular topic, it's in slovenian but it's quite easy to follow anyway even without understanding what's being said.

Here are the links:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Also I uploaded the CAD files Juraj posted if you want to follow along here:

CAD Files

Cheers.

This is an optimization of the technique I like. Thank you very much, she has some nice tips.

Cheers,

Christos