Rhino: Large amount of objects, is there a way to quickly map them?

martinengdahl

Hi!

I have a large amount of boxes that need pretty much the same material: one side has a window, the other sides do not. Is there a way to do the mapping quickly or do I need to go over the model box by box? The windows are all on the side facing the camera.

See attached pic.

testrender slakthuset.jpg

Edited by martinengdahl

• 2 weeks later...

What do you want to do when you say mapping? One way is to explode all boxes, manually select all sides that share the same property / mapping, then group those and apply the mapping. There are numerous other ways to do this as well, but when you have already done the boxes you have limited your options. If you start again, I'd do one box with proper mapping, then copy this box and change shape and size. If you put all sides that has a different mapping on different sub layers, you can easily change mapping when you are finished by changing the properties of the sub layer for each mapping.

Hey!

Thanks for replying, and teaching me how it should be done! The planning part of modeling is something I have yet to learn properly, and this kind of advice is essential: there are so many ways to make stuff with Rhino/GH, but if you don't know how they work correctly it will be hard to make a coherent workflow. Next time I will be better prepared!