What does architecture visualization look like in 5 years?

I fear that it's only few years more until in-house 3d departments are no longer needed, because the softwares that architects use are rendering better and better. Then they can show their architecture just like they are imagining it when designing the architecture. This will be even tougher for small rendering studios, and I suspect the business is going down significantly due to this.

If people, clients, real estates, can get a decent image )for a lot cheaper price, then people will find that sufficient. I have no problem understanding that.

So, I really wonder what new products, or generally WHAT will make us stand through this, and what kind of products should we offer to keep having a job the coming years? Architects and draftsmen at our company is now starting to fetch interest for the new rendering engine in archicad, and they are even attending rendering courses. It's not a secret that everybody wants to do our job, which is to create nice images. Of course, we have a lot of expertise with digital art, which these people dont account for, but who cares about the details in this world of money anyway.

This makes me feel that I need to get new products rolled out shortly, that they cannot do, or else I might be looking for something else to do. I am not saying I am quitting, but I fear that I will be forced to if this progression continues.

Edited by chroma

Well here is a thread with similar concerns - http://forums.cgarchitect.com/6184-future-architectural-visualization.html

Written in 2004 :)

And not 'that' much has changed, we arent all doomed yet

Cameron, funny to see the VR topic here as well. Anyway, I think we're in a slightly bit different situation now, as architects are indeed rendering high quality images with one click. At our office, they're using the same as in C4d, only simplified, so go figure.

What they don't have, like we have, is the eye for selling images. Every time you ask an architect for their suggestion for a view, they always want to pull the camera above roof level, and missing every good aspect of good base composition. They only see the architecture itself, and not how we implement their architecture into an eye catching image. I hope this will never change.

Having a CAD software render an image will not get you the same results as a dedicated rendering workflow, with all it's tools and plug-ins. Getting a rendering out of Revit, for example, will be fine, and some will be impressed and happy with the results, until you compare it to an actual rendering. That's what happened at my last job. I was hired in for CAD, and they were showing me images they rendered with Revit and they were all excited about them. Then one day I showed them my work, which isn't the best, but they saw the difference.

There will always be a place for ArchViz artists, in firms that see the true value in them and what the investment will return in the long run.

I do think we have to keep evolving, technology like game engine and VR will be something people want to see more of in the future.

Visualization is a technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message. It is a effective way to communicate both abstract and concrete ideas to any one. Blends the old with the new,Cost-effective yet state-of-the-art design,Improves visual communication,Opens discipline to new generation of architects.3D visualization technologies are inspiring a new generation of designers. so it will be very much vast after some year ago.

Hi Jon,

I think the studios are not the problem, or the real problem. Now we are using better software with better hardware (and easier to use) and we have a lot of stuff on the internet (tutorials, helps, etc.). So the new paradigm is that a lot of people with a pc in his/her bedroom with software (legit or not) are working with much less cost than proper studios or artist, and sadly most of the clients are not worried about this. Every year we have hundreds of new artists or small studios with really good quality. So if you don't have a name already or trusted customers, will be really hard to get new ones because the architect firms are getting tons of emails. But like always you have to change, renew or trust your style and effort to continue.

I think it's a good thing for everybody if most architects can make their fast still renders themselves. Gonna allow us to be hired for more interesting projects. I hate to get a contract for 1 or 2 renders only. I like big stuff like doing a couple images and a movie for example.

On the other hand 3d studios are always going to be needed to make movies, interactive stuff, eventually VR, maybe!!!

But if someone can only produce average still renderings, then I'd start looking into expanding his set of skills because they're going to be the first to be left behind.

I think it's a good thing for everybody if most architects can make their fast still renders themselves. Gonna allow us to be hired for more interesting projects. I hate to get a contract for 1 or 2 renders only. I like big stuff like doing a couple images and a movie for example.

On the other hand 3d studios are always going to be needed to make movies, interactive stuff, eventually VR, maybe!!!

But if someone can only produce average still renderings, then I'd start looking into expanding his set of skills because they're going to be the first to be left behind.

If you are excluding clients who needs 1-2 renders per project, then you are eliminating A LOT of projects that are being carried out by 3d studios on global basis. Don't think these people won't compete with you on the projects that you want, and you'll see the prices dropping like a sack from the sky, and you'll still need food on the table, while some of the ones you are competing with are doing it to keep them alive.

So what you imply here is to be grateful to get more competition in this field, because you yourself just want the dream projects. That is not exactly what this business needs, if you ask me...

Neighter does it need architects lowering the prices while they say: "If it's gonna be that costly, I can do it myself".

Are you rendering robots too?

I think the only change will be that you may see more freelancers move to in-house positions. As the markets start to firm up and rendering needs expand, most places will realize it is far easier to have people sitting in the office doing work rather than dealing with someone remotely.

I think the only change will be that you may see more freelancers move to in-house positions. As the markets start to firm up and rendering needs expand, most places will realize it is far easier to have people sitting in the office doing work rather than dealing with someone remotely.

When you hear of that, let me know! I'd love to do ArchViz full time. :D Unless the place can keep an artist busy enough to justify a full time position, I think they will still use freelances.

Not necessarily. It could be the other way around. We're a firm of over 100 architects and not a single in-house renderer. We've eliminated that position over the years. Each architect or team does their own rendering and most of the time it is good enough for the principals. They are still in awe whenever I get the chance to do renderings but I spend most of my time doing cd's in revit. If I hadn't had the foresight to learn revit 5 years ago I'd be out of job now.

• 2 weeks later...

Job security in Arch-viz will come with a few things I think.

1- Learn Revit. Every single firm hiring that has the need for 3D rendering is using it and it's a requirement for all new hires. In 5 years, if you don't know a lick of Revit, they probably will not even talk to you.

2- Make art and not crap. I see a lot of crap these days and that's because of all the reasons listed above. You can't YouTube "how to be an artist". It's in your soul or its not.

3- Don't be a one-trick pony. This profession is evolving. I think most of us are now design-illustrators and not just 3D jockeys. You need to be able to contribute to the design process while working your magic.

4- Brand yourself. If you have 10 people going after a 3D position, are you going to stick out?

• 2 weeks later...

The sky is definitely not falling and there'll always be room for high quality 3D.

In Melbourne we have companies charging upwards of $4k per image and they're busier than ever.

And definitely agree with point #3 above - our industry is evolving constantly with new technology coming in and once its proven to be applicable to the marketing for property developments, property developers are keen to utilise it - architects aren't going to be doing VR inhouse any time soon.

just my 2c worth.

• 1 month later...

The building design and construction industry is highly evolved. While the industry values, the rich heritage of architecture and design, this has not stopped it from moving ahead and adopting new technologies. Today nearly every real estate agent, architect, developer and interior designer depends on 3D architectural rendering and design visualization to communicate designs to all the involved stake holders and clients.

Today, I read very good article about 3D Architectural Rendering and Design Visualization and the Evolution of AEC industry. You can read more about it http://www.archilovers.com/stories/15356/3d-architectural-rendering-and-design-visualization-and-the-evolution-of-aec-industry.html