Trouble with 2016 Max changes?

JeremyRamsay

I've just started with Max 2016, and I've a few problems with the changes. When I'm in the layers I can't turn off a column of seperate layers by holding down the shift key, they have to be turned of individually. This can't be reverted?

Also when I select an object, the corrosponding layer automatically opens and displays every object on that layer. Again, can this be changed? I don't need to see this. Half the time I'm in layers I'm simply turning things off I didn't need on in the first place, quite infuriating.

Oh welcome to the brilliant scene explorer, because Autodesk is smarter than you and knows best. I don't know about reverting to shift-click to turn off all layers, but you can solve the opening of the layer the object is on by going to the Display Menu in the scene explorer, and choose auto-expand to selection, and uncheck it. For some reason, it is on by default.

Well that's at least one thing solved, cheers fella, but for the life of me, why the hell would they think having to turn off the layers individually is a step forward from a shift and two clicks? Anyway, ta again.

Because they change the team every year so there is no record of what some one else is doing, besides, it seems they test scenes with a few objects only, so if you have one teapot, Layer issues are not a problem.

Besides they are forced to get "something new" every release so it does not matter if it is practical or not.

It been getting better, I think Max touched bottom already. I hope.

Max 2017 new interface is nice, but there is something about it that I can't put my finger on it, it is hard to read.

I would recommend for you just stay on Max 2016 as long you can. I will try too :p

I very rarely work with less than 20 layers so you can imagine what thats doing to my head! Best thing I've found is just to use the back button to undo the command to turn them all on, though this is only advisable when turning on all the layers was the last thing you did. Ta

Reviewing your first post again, the holding shift and turning off layers works for me. As Scott mentioned I did turn it off expand all and collapse all, actually on Display menu I only have selected Display children and Display non-dynamic objects.

After that the layer menu work pretty close to what used to be.

Still pretty annoying things like selecting object to move to other layer still bug me, but if you load the floating layer tool bar, it will work like the old layer menu.

Hope this help you.

Reviewing your first post again, the holding shift and turning off layers works for me. As Scott mentioned I did turn it off expand all and collapse all, actually on Display menu I only have selected Display children and Display non-dynamic objects.

After that the layer menu work pretty close to what used to be.

Still pretty annoying things like selecting object to move to other layer still bug me, but if you load the floating layer tool bar, it will work like the old layer menu.

Hope this help you.

To know it's working for you but not me is almost more infuriating, never mind. Leave well alone!

i hate the new interface :D when i go to object isolation, i can't exit it :D i have to right click and unhide all :D

When you isolate an object you can exit by clicking the little red light bulb right along the bottom of your screen in the middle.