Suggestion for my DESKTOP CONFIGURATION

Hello All ,

I am looking to buy a new DESKTOP for my home . Majorly I will be using it in Exterior Visualization .I have just basic knowledge of configurations so please recommend me if something can be changed from my configuration below :-

This is the basic configuration which my vendor suggested me for best option available up to our knowledge .

1. I7 6th Gen Intel Processor

2. Mother board Gigabyte H81 11052PH

3. Hardisk 1 TB WD

4. RAM Corsair 16 GB

5. DVD Writer SATA LG

6. CABINET COOLER MASTER ELITE 310

7. SMPS COOLER MASTER 600 W

8. Graphic Card ZOTAC 750TI 2 GB

Budget is - 70k to 1 lac INR

Please suggest is it best compatibility or anything can be alter . Heartly thanks to all :)

Guest dialog

In my experience (assuming I am rendering locally on the same machine) I will invest my money into processor speeds and cores. If I am also working on very large projects, RAM would be important and a graphics card that can handle large projects. SSD for me has been great.

I work off a BOXX with dual e5-2680v2 2.8ghz 10 core processors. NVIDIA K6000. 64gb RAM 500gb SSD with 1TB storage drive. I have NEVER had issues rendering any sized scene with this set up locally and have never had to send out to a farm for still renders in the 3 years since I have been using it.

No clue what your dollar converts to for a budget

hmm, if i were you i will be looking at :

CPU : 5820K

RAM : 32 GB DDR4

mobo: Asrock extreme 4

SSD : Samsung or Intel one 240 GB

HDD : 2 Tb WD violet (Surveillance) just for storage

SMPS : Corsair RM850 (if you are thinking for two gtx1080 or gtx1070)

GPU : atleast GTX 960 4gb

CPU cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H45

Cabinet of your choice,

Sub total = 27,500(CPU) + 17,500(mobo) + 15,500(RAM) + 7100(SSD) + 5200(HDD) + 8300(SMPS) + 5100(Liquid cooler) + 4500(Cabinet) + 17500(GPU)

= Rs 108,200

Total estimate can be like -5000 or +5000.

you must try to move to x99 platform if you are really into CG.

Edited by ralphdecapite

What's your current computer? Can you specify the hardware? Like what kind of processor, how much ram.

What annoys you about your current computer and what kind of things you would like to see improve?

Do you think that after seeing some youtube video's about putting together a pc you can build one of your own? Because then you can get better stuff for the same price. Or do you prefer to buy a pc in the shop?

Edited by joelmcwilliam

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Desmond ,

Thanks for your reply ,

Yes I will not use it on server , will use it locally . What about I7 6th Gen because my budget is max 1500 dollars ( 1 LAC INR ) , I don't think I can afford XEON processor . Please suggest on this . I think up to my scale of clients 2GB graphic card is enough for me , please suggest which one is good for handling Exterior files like site renderings etc .

Also , I have no idea why to use SSD Hardisk , can you please elaborate a little so that I look over it .

Thanks

In my experience (assuming I am rendering locally on the same machine) I will invest my money into processor speeds and cores. If I am also working on very large projects, RAM would be important and a graphics card that can handle large projects. SSD for me has been great.

I work off a BOXX with dual e5-2680v2 2.8ghz 10 core processors. NVIDIA K6000. 64gb RAM 500gb SSD with 1TB storage drive. I have NEVER had issues rendering any sized scene with this set up locally and have never had to send out to a farm for still renders in the 3 years since I have been using it.

No clue what your dollar converts to for a budget

Dear Desmond ,

Thanks for your reply ,

Yes I will not use it on server , will use it locally . What about I7 6th Gen because my budget is max 1500 dollars ( 1 LAC INR ) , I don't think I can afford XEON processor . Please suggest on this . I think up to my scale of clients 2GB graphic card is enough for me , please suggest which one is good for handling Exterior files like site renderings etc .

Also , I have no idea why to use SSD Hardisk , can you please elaborate a little so that I look over it .

Thanks

What's your current computer? Can you specify the hardware? Like what kind of processor, how much ram.

What annoys you about your current computer and what kind of things you would like to see improve?

Do you think that after seeing some youtube video's about putting together a pc you can build one of your own? Because then you can get better stuff for the same price. Or do you prefer to buy a pc in the shop?

My current computer is I7 3770K 3.2GHz , MB is UD5H - Z77x , RAM is 16 GB ,

I actually need super multi tasking like if I am rendering in a file and everything other application should work well , like while rendering I must be able to do post work on other views . Is it possible that you provide me I exact configuration for Exterior visualisation majorly . My budget is 1500 dollars .

hmm, if i were you i will be looking at :

CPU : 5820K

RAM : 32 GB DDR4

mobo: Asrock extreme 4

SSD : Samsung or Intel one 240 GB

HDD : 2 Tb WD violet (Surveillance) just for storage

SMPS : Corsair RM850 (if you are thinking for two gtx1080 or gtx1070)

GPU : atleast GTX 960 4gb

CPU cooler : Corsair Hydro Series H45

Cabinet of your choice,

Sub total = 27,500(CPU) + 17,500(mobo) + 15,500(RAM) + 7100(SSD) + 5200(HDD) + 8300(SMPS) + 5100(Liquid cooler) + 4500(Cabinet) + 17500(GPU)

= Rs 108,200

Total estimate can be like -5000 or +5000.

you must try to move to x99 platform if you are really into CG.

Hello Ralph ,

Thanks for a detailed confi and your time ,

Can you suggest me best configuration for Exterior Visuals , I am fine with the amount which you suggested . and Is it possible for you to elaborate a little about why to use SSD RAM ?

SSD is faster. Spend what you can within your budget then.

Can you give me a compatible configuration best for Exterior Visuals majorly and budget is 1500 Dollars ,

Things which are enough for me ,like

32 GB , 2 GB graphic card , 1 TB HDD , 240 GB SSD , suggest MB and particular which graphic card , ram or hdd is best compatible.

Guest dialog

Well, this can vary. If you are doing exterior scenes, they can get pretty RAM intensive. 1500 is not a large budget for a workstation that will have the best of everything. So you will need to sacrifice in certain areas. What you have specd there seems reasonable. If you want a graphics card on a budget, visit the autodesk website for certified cards. If you are rendering out of house on a render farm, invest in RAM and a decent graphics card. If you will be rendering locally, you may need to sacrifice on one of those and invest in some processor power.

Well, this can vary. If you are doing exterior scenes, they can get pretty RAM intensive. 1500 is not a large budget for a workstation that will have the best of everything. So you will need to sacrifice in certain areas. What you have specd there seems reasonable. If you want a graphics card on a budget, visit the autodesk website for certified cards. If you are rendering out of house on a render farm, invest in RAM and a decent graphics card. If you will be rendering locally, you may need to sacrifice on one of those and invest in some processor power.

Yes I will do most of the work locally , I don't need best because I can't afford but I want best in my given budget . I mean if I have many options of MotherBoard under 500$ so which one I should choose among them . Hope you are getting me .. please advice little specific if possible ..

Thanks dear for all your time . :)

My current computer is I7 3770K 3.2GHz , MB is UD5H - Z77x , RAM is 16 GB ,

I actually need super multi tasking like if I am rendering in a file and everything other application should work well , like while rendering I must be able to do post work on other views . Is it possible that you provide me I exact configuration for Exterior visualisation majorly . My budget is 1500 dollars .

Hi Akshay,

you want a pc that has more ram and a processor with more cores, so you will be better to do the multitasking.

What are you planning to do with the older pc, after you get a new one?

How about get a (second hand) rendernode to place next to your current pc? Let the rendernode do the rendering stuff and you can work on your current pc.

Yes, i can provide you a configuration for your budget, no problem, but I'm tryng to figure out if there is a cheaper option for you personal situation. That's why all the questions.

Hi Akshay,

you want a pc that has more ram and a processor with more cores, so you will be better to do the multitasking.

What are you planning to do with the older pc, after you get a new one?

How about get a (second hand) rendernode to place next to your current pc? Let the rendernode do the rendering stuff and you can work on your current pc.

Yes, i can provide you a configuration for your budget, no problem, but I'm tryng to figure out if there is a cheaper option for you personal situation. That's why all the questions.

Hello Joel ,

How are you ?

It's a nice idea about the rendernode but sorry I am selling my old pc as I don't need for now and I have few friends which helps me if I have over burden of renderings for a single pc ,

That would be great if you give me the best suitable configuration , please take care of the machinery which would be easily available in India .

Thanks a lot mate :)

I'm fine Akshay. Thanks for asking.

Do you have a shop where you will be buying from?

Here something you might find interesting:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/80487-buying-building-my-first-desktop-computer-2.html#post413553

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/80150-cheap-16core-xeon-node-pros-cons.html

Thank you for the links Joel , Its worth reading all ..Glad to see you have considerable knowledge of all aspects . Please give me suggestion on this also :D . like any links to start reading about in depth knowledge of such hardwares .

Well , Yes I am going to get it assembled from a shop . My max budget is 1500 dollars . Please suggest .

Hi Akshay,

here is a link I would definitely recommend you to go through. Its a bit old, but might be suitable for your budget. What kind of renderings will you be doing? It would be good if you could give some examples as exteriors which you keep emphasizing through out this post, can mean hell lot of different things.

http://pcfoo.com/2014/11/1500-cg-workstation-q3-2014/

You can try to find contacts for the person who manages that blog

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All ,

Thanks to all for contributing your precious time ,I had gone through with all the details provided and with the discussion and availability I accumulated a new configuration . Need your inputs that is it good enough for my requirements or I need to make alternatives :-

Intel Core i7 6700k

Gigabyte Mobo b150m-ds3h

SSD HD Kingston 120 GB

1TB HDD WD 7200 Rpm

16 GB RAM COSAIR

CABINET COOLER MASTER K380

COOLER MASTER SMPS600W

GRAPHIC CARD - AMD FIRE PRO w2100 / Quadro K620

Please give your suggestions .

I'm fine Akshay. Thanks for asking.

Do you have a shop where you will be buying from?

Here something you might find interesting:

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/80487-buying-building-my-first-desktop-computer-2.html#post413553

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/80150-cheap-16core-xeon-node-pros-cons.html

Hello Joel ,

Thanks to all for contributing your precious time ,I had gone through with all the details provided and with the discussion and availability I accumulated a new configuration . Need your inputs that is it good enough for my requirements or I need to make alternatives :-

Intel Core i7 6700k

Gigabyte Mobo b150m-ds3h

SSD HD Kingston 120 GB

1TB HDD WD 7200 Rpm

16 GB RAM COSAIR

CABINET COOLER MASTER K380

COOLER MASTER SMPS600W

GRAPHIC CARD - AMD FIRE PRO w2100 / Quadro K620

Please give your suggestions .

• 1 month later...