Reflection + refraction map issue 3D Max Vray

janisaufmanis

Hi again,

Can anyone please advise me regarding the use of refraction map and reflection:

I am trying to create a perforated shader panel. Since I'm trying to save computer resources, I choose to show the perforation using a refraction map.

The issue is, whenever the refraction iOR is more than 1 (even if it's 1.001), i am getting strong reflection from parts where it's supposed to be transparent, but the reflections do not work at all where I want them to be. What is my mistake here?

I would like to add some reflection to perforated panels tho. You see, the frames are of the same material, but reflection appears to be working for the frames. But the perforated panels are black and do not reflect light (although I have reflection color set to white and the glossiness amount is 0.7)

PS:

The attachment why 1 shows what it's like with iOR = 1

The attachment why2 shows what is it like with iOR = 1.2

Note: There is no glass in the background, just a solid wall. The reflection comes from transparency distotion (I guess)

Please, advise me, time is running out.

Thanks in advance!

why1.jpg

why2.jpg

Hey.

Are you using the perforated map in the opacity channel in vray material?

I'd start by making the metallic material without any holes, just a plain dark metal metal, with a couple of maps mixed into the reflection and reflection glossiness channels, and then when it looks good, start messing with the opacity channel for the perforated effect.

Can you show a screenshot of the material in the slate editor? A closeup of the material preview sphere would help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Pablo!

Not really I had the solution from you, but you certainly gave me very valuable clue, which solved the problem. I had the map plugged in the refraction map, bus as soon as I applied the same map to translucency slot, things started working fine. Thank you!

Janis