Workstation configuration Fujitsu W550 or M740 with GTX980TI or other?

Hi All

Looking for a good configuration of a new workstation for Revit/3DS max (with high poly models) and has been looking at:

Fujitsu M740 with a GTX980TI of some kind and some extra RAM. (this is my price range).

How much RAM should I go after?

Which graphic card is preferred? - and what about the Watt consumption. Do I need 600W powersupply for a 600W graphic card?

For REVIT work you'll benefited by a high speed processor more than anything. For 3D Max fast CPU, good Video a lots of RAM and the better option.

Of course all this depend of the type of work you do. If you work on large masterplanning with lots of trees and so on, then get as much RAM you can afford. if you do medium projects mostly, 32 Gb will be enough.

Now why fujitsu specifically? where you live?

if you live in USA, Dell or HP may be a better option. In Europe you could choose the same or have other options too.

Of course some one else may point that a custom build will be cheaper, but no everybody it is up to do that.

I live in Denmark and was recommended to buy a not-too-expensive pc and then upgrade it with RAM and graphic card. My problem is that the graphic card concumes a lot of watt and many factory build pc's don't have much power. Did look at HP too - but could not find a model with enough power....

Looking at the 1070 model - could there be any issues with a Fujitsu W550 Power that I should be aware of? - and what about 3DS MAX (currently working on version 2013 with vray 2.0).

There is about 30 different GTX1070 cards - what should I look for here?

Should I be worried if the card is not on autodesk's list of certified hardware?

Edited by jesperlarsen

None of the new line of NVidia card are certified yet. Not even the Quadros series.

Just be sure you can fit the card inside your computer, check the power connection. 550W will be enough, unless you are planing to put more hard drives inside or other components, but I think it should be fine.

The diversity of videos card is because each manufacturer take his own approach, but basically they are all the same. If you like check the one will fit your case, and stay with know brands such, EVGA, ASUS, GIGABITE, MSI, PNY and so on.