Reflections distorted with double glass Vray 3d max

janisaufmanis

Hi guys,

Please elaborate with me regarding this issue - It's driving me nuts and I can not find the correct keywords to find solution for this on line.

I have put a plane with jpeg just behind the camera to get reflections in my windows. I cranked up the reflection IOR for my glass material to get more reflection.

It works when I have the single glass, but where the glass planes coincide, I have weird reflections. I put jpeg with the problem area and my material settings in the attachment. Please, if you can give any adice about this..

I will be very thankful for any quick advice

PS I am also interested in how to make a plane I'm using (to host the jpeg for my reflection) invisible in the scene, but still making those reflections. In that case, I could locate it much closer to glass and get more precise reflections.|

Thanks in advance,

Janis

ISSUE3.jpg

ISSUE2.jpg

There's several things to check.

GLASS MATERIAL

Change the diffuse color to pure black. Anything less can degrade your reflections.

Change the reflection and refraction subdivisions to 10. You can turn them up later but 48 is a bit insane haha.

Uncheck Fresnel reflections.

Change Refraction IOR to 5.545

Add a Falloff in your reflection slot. Leave the default settings of Type: perp/paral and Direction: cam z-axis

This will give you a basic glass material to work with. Later on you can play with fresnel and whatnot, but start here.

JPG BACKGROUND

There's a very good chance that the plane with your jpg image applied is not getting enough light. This is especially true if your sun in the HDRI is behind the plane / behind the camera.

First, right click on the plane and turn off cast shadows in properties.

Uncheck visible to camera. You don't want this showing up in other camera views.

Now go to the Vray properties of the plane.

Uncheck Generate GI, generate and receive caustics, and visible to GI. Leaving those checked is a bad idea.

Now, most importantly, place a vray dome light in the scene some distance in front of the jpg plane. Set exclude/include to only include the plane. Do some test renders looking at the plane to see if it's properly illuminated. Tweak power of the the light as necessary.

Those should give you a good starting point for testing.

Also, and this is key, the jpg image better be pretty high in resolution. Remember, you are probably applying it to a fairly large plane and it might be stretching the jpg too much - thus causing more blurry reflections than normal.

• 2 weeks later...