PowerCoreTools: free CPU management tool for 3ds Max

Josef Wienerroither

I just released version 1.2 of my PowerCoreTools CPU managment script for 3ds Max.

A tool to control CPU usage while 3ds Max is rendering. Automatically sets process priority and affinity ( the number of CPU cores the render process uses) at render start. Restores the initial settings when the rendering is done. Can be configured to run in a complete transparent No-UI mode, which is launched right after 3ds Max has started.

This helps keeping your workstation responsive for other tasks while rendering. eg a second 3ds Max session stays responsive and can be used to continue work on different tasks.

Find more details and the free download link on my website:

http://www.frogsinspace.at/?p=2998

A look at the following screenshot will probably tell more than thousand words:

PowerCoreTools_At_Work_2017-768x623.png

You certainly can use the task manager, but that is pretty cumbersome compared to my tool. Once configured, my tool does it totally transparently without any need for the user to interfere. Even without ever seeing the UI if you wish.

And PowerCoretools does all it's stuff DYNAMICALLY, only when a render is started. For comparison, if you would set the affinity mask in the task manager ( or via commandline at Max startup) , you loose cores for EVERY task you do in Max, for the whole session