Quadro vs Gaming card

3ply

I just got a new computer at work. Dual processor with total of 24 cores with 64 gigs of ram and a Quadro M4000 4gig memory. I'm using 3dstudio Max 2017. 3dstudio seems to run very sluggish with a fairly complex model. I opened the same file on my home computer which is an alienware computer designed for gaming. Single 8 core processor with 16 gigs of ram and a Geforce 760 2gigs of ram. The model runs alot smoother!

Any reason why my home computer is faster at manipulating a model?

At home I'm using 3dstudio Max 2015. Both computers are running windows 10 and video drivers are up to date.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

The Following are the Info:

Home Computer:

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) - Turbo 4.0 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM - 2gigs

16 gigs of RAM

7200 RPM Hard Drive

Windows 10 - 64bit

Work Computer:

Intel Xeon® CPU E5-2687W v4 @ 3.00Ghz (2 Processors)

NVIDIA Quadro M4000 - 8gigs

64 gigs of RAM

2 Solid State drives - raided for speed

Windows 10 - 64bit

Nope, the 2687's are beasts. Not them either. It probably has to do with max's 2017 version you have at work, or something like that. Seems to be a software/driver/installation related problem. The M4000 should handle complex scenes pretty well, and in any case not worse compared to the 760.

Could you run some gpu related benchmarks, ex. Valley bench, etc in both rigs?

Is this the only issue you have with the WS you have at work? Is there anything else that's not working properly?

I'll have to figure out how to run the benchmarks on both computers. The work computer does render very quickly! The only complaint I have is the sluggish feeling when modeling within 3dstudio. I just tested the same file using 3dstudio 2015 on the same machine and it runs slightly better but still should be faster then my home computer.

I don't know man, what I understood from the link you post, is that the Software and CPU are slowing down the video performance, not really the GPU.

As for the M4000 I do have that card at my workstation at the office and it runs great. 3d Max 2016, Stingray, Lumion they all run fine. We were concern about Lumion because it supposed to run better on GTX card, but honestly it works just fine. Also Unreal and HTC Vive app, they play smooth at 90 FPS or so.

I know Max 2017 had some issues with video performance, there are several possibilities of shading now maybe there is something there.

Also using the latest drives is not recommended for Max, I don't think they keep doing the recommended drivers any more but you should check on Autodesk website, if there is any.

Any ways I am running the latest driver because Steam require that every time to run HTC Vive but as mentioned before, performance on Max 2016 seem very consistent.

If you think the poblem is your gpu why not swap the gpu's?

If that's not the problem you could try, like Francisco mentioned, install older drivers and see how that works out.

If that's not the problem, it must be the lower single core clockspeed of the cpu. Max and most modelling software use only one core/singlecore in building up a model, so for modelling a fast single core cpu is preferable. As an example: cheap high overclocked pentium (two cores) like a Pentium G3258 would do a much better job in modelling than a lower clocked expensive xeon (lots of cores). For rendering you just want all the cores you can get, the xeon is your man.

Hello there,

Is there anything like certified drivers for nvidia gpu's? A couple of years ago we had issues with our ati firepros running very slow and buggy. I did some search and found certified drivers by autodesk and it fixed everything. Right now I can work on scenes with around 15million polys without problems and I'm using fairly old hardware.

Look for older or any certified drivers, try swapping the quadro with another gpu like a gaming one. Any chance you could try an older 3ds max version?

cheers

@ Joel: This mustn't be the case here. In fact, the 2687 v4 with the ipc improvements and the 3.6GHz boost should perform the same or slightly better in single threaded tasks compared to a 4790 with its 4.0GHz turbo but lower ipc (~10%).

The gpu swap between these two machines is a good idea, I think. He must make a clean installation of the appropriate drivers, though.

Edited by nikolaosm

Sorry for the delay. I was finishing up a project and finally installed unigine demo.

My home computer: 73.1 FPS Score: 3059

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (3599MHz) x4

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM 21.21.13.7254/Intel® HD Graphics 4600 20.19.15.4444 (2048MB) x1

The work computer: 48.2 FPS Score: 2020

Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2687W v4 @ 3.00GHz (2993MHz) x24

NVIDIA Quadro M4000 21.21.13.6926 (4095MB) x1

Both had the same settings at "high"

Looks like the $1000 quadro card isn't performing as good as my gaming card at $200

I havn't seen the CPU ever go above 3.0Ghz... Do I have to turn a setting on to get the 3.6Ghz boost. My home computer will boost to 4Ghz when rendering.

How do you monitor the cpu's frequency?

You must check if the turbo is enabled inside the BIOS and also be sure that all cores are set to x36. Furthermore, check the Windows Power Options and see if Performance is enabled and in advanced settings if the Processor's max state is at 100%.

In Unigine Valley, run both systems with the Preset "Extreme HD".

I monitor the CPU through the task manager / performance tab / Resource Monitor. Is there a better way?

I ran the Unigine Valley on my home computer with the extreme HD setting:

FPS: 40.6

Score: 1698

I'll have to do the same on the work computer next time I'm at work.

There are some good monitoring programs, like the CPUID HWmonitor, Open Hardware Monitor, with which you can monitor almost every important part of your computer. The nice thing is that they all keep min and max values of frequency and voltages.

Or you can download CPU-Z for a simpler cpu, mobo and RAM monitoring. Important thing is to see if any of your Xeon cores maxes out at 3.5GHz.

The work computer with the extreme HD setting:

FPS: 40.9

Score: 1710

Its almost identical to my gaming card running at the extreme HD setting. My gaming card does alot better when the settings are turned down compared to the Quadro cards setting turned down. This is probably due to the memory.

It looks like this Quadro card is way overpriced compared to the performance.