Autodesk University London vs Las Vegas

Jon Berntsen

Sorry to piggy back in your thread, I never attended to either, this year will be my first year in Las Vegas Autodesk U, if anyone here is attending, it would be great to meet any of you.

Let me know ;)

back to your question, IMO there are a lot of talent in Europe and most trends comes from there, I bet over all there are not much difference but the weight of the presenters may be better there (Arch Viz wise). Here in USA the Arch Viz part seems smaller compared to Europe.

This year tho there is a lot of talk regarding VR, and that why I am assisting this year.

Sorry to piggy back in your thread, I never attended to either, this year will be my first year in Las Vegas Autodesk U, if anyone here is attending, it would be great to meet any of you.

Let me know ;)

back to your question, IMO there are a lot of talent in Europe and most trends comes from there, I bet over all there are not much difference but the weight of the presenters may be better there (Arch Viz wise). Here in USA the Arch Viz part seems smaller compared to Europe.

This year tho there is a lot of talk regarding VR, and that why I am assisting this year.

I've got the impression that the US market is better regarding picking up inspiration from professional movie vfx techniques, which is a significant part of making further progress IMO. I saw that the hardware VR courses were full. I understand that, but at the same time I don't really get the big VR hype in our business. Presenting projects online for swiping 360 degrees is nice, but people isolating themselves to watch adverts (in different forms) in a device they have to buy themselves...? Time will show. :)

VR hardware sales on the consumer side have all but halted, so we're on the downside of the hype cycle. The big key for that, on the consumer side, is the lack of content.

Generally you don't go to AU to learn. You go to AU for all of the free food and booze and maybe a few tips and tricks. From my experiences at AU Las Vegas, that is the big show and the London one is the secondary one. Also, you can still make full classes if you want. Just show up, ask the person at the door, and they will typically let you in.