We are creating a lot of fabric textures, and usually we take photos or scan them, sometimes use Forest to replicate the texture, but we need something that is easier on the machines (than Forest) and faster/gives better results than scanning/taking photos (we used a simple scanner, not laser or anything special and a high end DSLR).

I tried Substance Designer, but it is very hard to create something that could be used as a template and modified if needed.

What ideas come to your mind, which software could we try or use to be able to create very high detail fabrics (and/or to create templates for fabric materials)?

Im using Railclone now, seeing what can I do, then later creating the maps from the model.

Currently we are using 3ds max 2016 and Corona.

Budget isn't really a problem, so if you have any ideas, Im happy to hear it, even if its a bit unusual.

Thank you!

Edited by krisztiangulyas

Textures with normal maps work well for

Linen, Silk, Cotton

Forestpro/Hair & Fur

Floor Rugs, Towels

Would be interested to know what you are doing with Railclone

Unfortunately in this day and age Realistic Effects on Fabric (Fur), Water etc still take some time to play with until it looks right. Only tip I could give is save your presets when you make some good ones - or buy them online if you can find them. They do hog memory, its the trade off for quality

James Vella, we are building the fabric thread by thread with Railclone, Forest is actually good, but the PCs (and mostly Max) cant handle it in bigger scenes. We are testing Railclone now (Railclone and Forest combined) to create fabric materials, that could be scattered over a mesh, or getting the normal/displacement maps from the modeled fabric/threads. We want to create procedural(like) weaving/fabrics.

Chris MacDonald the video looks awesome, do you know any information of the release, because i didnt find anything about that, or maybe i just missed it(?).

Thank you!