First Scene in Vray - Issues with Lighting Solution (Noise and Blotches)

ivanjay

Test Render Grain.jpgHi all,

This is my first scene in Vray. Very excited to start learning it. We completed this model in Revit and I imported FBX into Max. Deleted all of the lights and recreated max lights (vray lights). There is no exterior lighting. All interior.

I played with the settings and solution with a gray material. Basically just a gray diffuse material (128) with slight glossiness to get some reflections on it (pulled it down about a quarter of the way).

I am playing with the settings with irradiance map and light cache to try to get a nice clean render before I start adding materials and really getting ahead of my self. I did a lot of reading and am playing with lots of things but nothing seems to be clearing this up. Clearly, I am missing something!

Wondering if anyone seeing it could provide some quick feedback before I get into creating materials.

Thanks!

-Ivan

If you use a better override material, say a 180,180,180 you may get a better balance in lighting. In general it seems overblown and this material may highlight that for you.

Progressive is a great way to test, but I would suggest Bucket for Finals. As a new person to VRay though, you may want to simply use the Quick Settings from their toolbar instead of trying your own stuff. Lock down those variables until you know what does what. Then fly!

If you use a better override material, say a 180,180,180 you may get a better balance in lighting. In general it seems overblown and this material may highlight that for you.

Progressive is a great way to test, but I would suggest Bucket for Finals. As a new person to VRay though, you may want to simply use the Quick Settings from their toolbar instead of trying your own stuff. Lock down those variables until you know what does what. Then fly!

It is just testing, not a real project so I am okay tintering. Plus I am familiar with mental ray so principles are somewhat similar.

Is bucket generally considered better for finals? Seams dangerous to test on one and flip for a final.

When you say overblown you mean over exposed? There are a lot of general lights in this model

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hey Ivan,

There can be several causes. Try lowering the light values until they aren't blown out - that might handle it right there.

Next set your image sampler to bucket and then with the 'bucket image sampler' roll out which now pops up you can adjust the subdivs and noise threshold. Just adjusting those should be enough.

If needed you could try going to 'Image Sampler 'Anti-Aliasing''. Click on the box which says 'default' as you need either 'Advanced' or 'Expert' on and then adjust the min shading rate, test with 12, 24, etc., to see what you get. For an explanation of these settings just move your mouse over the dialogue box and a description should pop up.

I reckon that would handle it, but first turn the lights down. It could just be they are too bright. To help with this you can set the 'Colour Mapping' dialogue to Exponential or set it to Reinhard and then drop the burn value down to something you like.

Cheers, Tom

Is bucket generally considered better for finals? Seams dangerous to test on one and flip for a final.

Progressive and Bucket don't seem to render out differently at all. They just create an almost identical image. It's just normally easier to see the buckets going across the scene and you can see what's happening, you know exactly what's done, estimate on the completion time, etc. Also, bucket rendering uses less memory as the computer isn't trying to render the entire image at the same time.

Most people use buckets, but you can use progressive. I've definitely done so in the past and will do so again. I've never noticed a discernable difference when rendering with buckets or progressive.

it is all about sampling, for people that are new to this software, (VRay) do not waist your time following old tutorials, the new version of VRay is very straight forward, only setup your render time or number of samples if you are in progressive mode nothing else.

If you go to bucket you only need to concentrate on number of samples, and noise threshold, or just leave defaults, 1-100 will render clean most images.

Lowering the intensity of the lights is not the correct approach for over bright areas, unless of course you are using ridiculous intensity values.

Those over bright areas should be fixed with color mapping, directly in rendering with a color mapping such Reinhardt or Exponential, or in post in VRay buffer window or external post processing software.

If you reduce the light intensity your overall lighting will diminish too, room will get darker. Then you need to increase your exposure and you'll get over bright areas again. that is a natural effect.

Please review VRay manual. it explain clearly.

For progressive mode, just adjust rendering time or number of samples. if you have lots of samples an image still noisy then reduce your noise threshold.

Minimum Shade rate could help you, but you need to understand when to use it, choosing random number may just increase your render time with not significant changes.

And remember from VRay 3.x you have a de-noising option, it works pretty good, without much increase of your rendering time. if you have a good video card, it will process very quickly.