Stair Bannister Help

Michael Pickard

Hi,

I'm currently building a bespoke staircase for a property in 3dsmax.

I've created the curve of he stairs using the CAD file but i'm having trouble bending the bannister in the same direction.

I've tried to use path deform and bend modifiers but neither have worked.

It needs to bend as well as gain height.

I've attached screenshots of the banister and staircase within 3dsmax as well as reference material.

Any advice on how i would get the geometry to bend following the stairs would be greatly appreciated.

Bannister.jpg

Reference.jpg

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

The easiest way is to create a spline for it to follow on the stair model. Just go in and select the edges and then under 'Edit edges' click 'create shape from selection' and make sure you select 'Linear' or you will have issues with weird curves.

Next, select your banister. If it is a group then ungroup it and attach all of the elements so it becomes one edit poly. Then collapse the stack to Edit Poly.

Go to the Command Panel, Heirachy, Affect Pivot Only, Center to Object. Then move the pivot to the bottom of the object, as this is where it attach to the spline from.

In the Command Panel, go to the Utilities Tab and select Reset Xform.

Collapse the banister to Edit Poly.

Go to the modify tab and select PathDeform (WSM) (this is a world space modifier). Select Pick Path and then select the spline you created earlier. Select Move to Path. Try the different Path Deform Axis until you have the right one. Then use Percent, Stretch, Rotation and Twist to get it in the right place.

If you cannot get it on the path then delete the PathDeform (WSM). Select the spline it will travel along, center the axis on the spline, reset the xForm on the spline, and collapse to an Editable Spline. Then add the PathDeform (WSM) again and this time it will go along the path.

If this doesn't work, then reset the axis on both again and reset xform on both again. It will then work.

Once you are happy, right click on the PathDeform (WSM) and click on Collapse To. This will leave you with just the Edit Poly you started with and you can change other things in the scene without worrying about the banister shooting off somewhere or being affected by the Time Slider, etc.

Hope this helps.

Tom