Revit FBX To 3DS Max Scale Problem

jamiemarshall

Hi all,

So I have a file set up in Revit 2017. Everything is going fine until I export that out to FBX and try to import into 3DS Max 2016. It is coming in at 10 times smaller than it should be.

For example a Cylinder that is 5m high is becoming 50cm in height.

Unfortunately linking the Revit isn't an option due to the sheer scale of the scene, and the 8-9 RVT links inside the original RVT file

If anyone else has dealt with this before any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,

This may be a solution. Open up a new 3ds max file and check your unit set up. You need to change your System Unit Setup to feet, (1unit - 1.0 feet) but then make sure your display unit scale is in whatever unit you work in.

Make sure the above is done fresh, and not after you've imported the model.

Hope this worked. It did for me a few weeks back when working with Revit. Like you say, working with a direct revit link can be painfully slow.

*edit: Worth noting that the above was a solution for UVW map scale's working incorrectly, but it also fixed my scale issues

Edited by gregedwards2

We import into 2016 no issues

1) As Matt/Greg Mentioned by Default Revit's units are in Feet. When importing we have a scene with System Units - Feet. Import into that, save.

2) Create a new scene > set your system units to what you normally have > Reset Scene

3) Import your scene you saved in step 1.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

Unfortunatley I am going to have to bump up this thread as I am having the same issue after trying out all of the solutions above. I have also tried these two methods with no success.

This workflows is getting FBX models into max at the correct scale WITHOUT any scaling on the geometryJ

(I work in mm as my base System Units)

1. Go to “Customise/Units Setup.
    1. Change the system Unit scale to 1 Unit = 304.8 (millimetres).... Uncheck “respect system units in files”

1. File/Import/ FBX File
    1. Under presets, select ‘autodesk media and entertainment’.
    2. Basically turn off all settings (animation, cameras, lights)
    3. *** Under units (turn off ‘automatic’, set File units converted to: “FEET”. Scale factor should automatically change to ‘1.0’.
    4. Click “ok”. FBX file will import.
    5. Save the file

1. Reset Max
    1. Go to “Customise/Units Setup.
    2. Change t the system Unit scale to 1 Unit = 1.0 (millimetres).... Check “respect system units in files”

1. Go to “File/Import/Merge”
    1. Select the file you saved on step 2.
    2. Simply click ok and “hey presto”.

And this method

This workflows is getting FBX models into max at the correct scale WITHOUT any scaling on the geometry.
(I work in mm as my base System Units)

1. Set System Units to mm with Unit Factor @ 1 Unit = 304.8 (feet) and respect system units scale Enabled.
2. FBX Import settings, turn off "automatic" in Units tab and select "Feet" in the pull down to force Scale factor of 1.0.
3. Import and save
4. Reset Max
5. Units back to normal (set System Units to mm with Unit Factor @ 1 Unit = 1 and respect system units scale Enabled).
6. Merge in previously saved model.

= Model at right size with no scaling of the geometry/mesh.

Both of these were found here...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-forum/fbx-import-scaling-issues-solved/td-p/4266171

So far I have not been able to get both of these to work. If it helps a 1400mm wide window in Revit when imported into max becomes 13654mm in width.

Any help would be appreciated if someone has had a similar solution and has worked it out

Thanks