Render passes come out different than the beauty when composited.

joadhughes

Render.0000.jpg

Like you can see in the image, the beauty pass looks correct, but the render passes are too bright and the highlights are clipping. I always composite my renders the same way:

- Refraction (Linear Dodge)

- Specular (Linear Dodge)

- Reflection (Linear Dodge)

- Lighting (Linear Dodge)

- Global Illumination (Linear Dodge)

This usually works fine, but something is wrong. Also, the alpha channel is showing white and grey rather than white and black. Anything I put behind there in Photoshop comes out white, regardless of what colour it is.

I'm exporting to a 32bit EXR, with no frame buffer settings changed. I'm not sure if it matters, but I use Reinhard colour mapping with a burn value of .05 because I prefer how it looks and have been reccomended it by other people. I've done 3 renders with Reinhard and the first one was fine, the second was slightly different and this one is much different. I don't know what I am doing wrong, I appreciate any help.

Well Photoshop is a little limited for 32 bit comps.

I am guessing you are doing the comp in 32bits and not 16bits. if you like to work on 16 bits then you should use screen instead, dodge will try to burn your whites any ways.

If you place a exposure control in top of your comp you can adjust the burning effect you are getting.

Otherwise, Fusion, After Effects or if you have the budget for NUKE, all those software will be more flexible for 32 Bits compositing.

Your GI pass should be set to Normal, not Linear Dodge. At least this is my method, but maybe that isn't it.

Then Add (Linear Dodge) your Lighting, Refraction, Reflection, Specular, Self Illumination passes, and any others that you may need such as Atmosphere or SSS.

The only thing left is that you will need to check how your Refractive materials are made. They should not be set to All Channels otherwise they will get incrementally brighter with each pass as it is recorded in, well, all of the channel. Channels are Vray's name for elements.

Lastly, it absolutely needs to be in 32 Bit if you are Adding (linear Dodge) images together.. Screen may seem right for lower bit depths, but will never get you a match.