Bloom and glare in Vray 3.5

ramon acha

Hi,

Just moved to 3.5 and I'm struggling to control the glare and bloom. I read the manual but found no answer to all my questions...

Is it still possible to get the bloom and glare mask render element? I have the same parameters as in 3.4 but they are not showing up.

Do they still work in vray light materials? I assume they are suppose to work as in real photography but is not working in pure white pixels when they are vray light mats

A college of mine realized by trial and error that the bloom and glare are quite different in Bucket and progressive, is it suppose to be like that or just a bug?

Do the adaptive lights affect them? Just rendered an image with around 50 similar lights and the glare is just working in a few of them quite randomly (sorry can't post the image but is a confidential project).

Any other differences with 3.4?

• 2 months later...

I hope this isn't too old to respond but I just discovered this Googling.

I have the same issue, I've used Bloom & Glare with 3.4 and it worked great. When I installed 3.5 I no longer had either mask in the frame buffer render element list and I'm not getting any effects of either too! I reported this to Vray Support and sent them a file that worked in 3.4 but not in 3.5 and they replied they had no issues. It was so close to the 3.6 Max 2018 release I figured I'd wait it out and unfortunately I'm still seeing the same problem with 3.6 2018. I suppose not many use this feature or we are just unlucky because I see no other reports of this problem.

I have Max 2018 with the latest Vray 3.602 installed and I still don't see that it's working as it has before. Either there is something we are missing in the settings or it's bugged. I recommend sending a Support Ticket like I did, they might look into deeper if they receive more tickets on this matter. I've just gone back to the old Photoshop ways it's just not as pretty.

• 2 months later...

Support emailed me a file with only a single light in the scene and asked me to render it to test the bloom and glare. It worked fine! But as soon as a put a camera in the scene and adjusted the render settings it wasn't working properly. In other words there's something I'm doing in the settings or the camera that's causing it to not work the way it did in previous versions of Vray. Not sure what it is but its going to take a lot of testing to find out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi there, I just had to go back and work on some old scenes using Vray, and after doing the update to 3.6 it seems that neither my bloom or glare is working either. After reading through the Chaos group forums, it seems that the team has changed the way the bloom and glare is calculated so that if you are using any sort Reinhard color mapping with burn clamping, or exponential mapping the bloom and glare no longer works. Vlado had said that for the bloom and glare to work you must use a linear color mapping with no burn clamping, and instead clamp values within the Vray Frame Buffer.

My question is, I have always used Reinhard mapping with a .2 burn value that has worked well for me, but changing the highlight burn setting to .2 in the VFB does not give me the same rendering results. Has anyone find a way to work around these new changes to the Bloom and Glare to get it to work as it used to? I am honestly quite frustrated with how VRay has so many overlapping settings (For example - VFB exposure adjustments and render setting color mapping settings) and other features that just don't plain work (material ID or object ID masks for Bloom and Glare) which make me enjoy the simplicity of Corona render that much more.

Finally some real answers to this topic! Yeah I've pretty much given up trying to pull off proper glare in Vray 3.6 and have just been doing it in post.

Francisco Penaloza can you describe your workflow more. I just purchased Arion for Photoshop to give it a try. Do you save your self-ilum pass as a separate HDR and edit it separately in Arion then copy it into your post production file?

Well I usually save a multilayer EXR with several passes, one of them is self-illuminated or MatID that will define the light sources.

As I mentioned on the previews post, when you apply camping or a very strong Reinhard setting you will limiting the light information in your image, this helps you to avoid those overbright/burn areas, but all that info help VRay build in glare/glow effect to define what glows and what not.

Inside of photoshop I take my beauty pass and make it Smart object, the same thing for the self-illumination pass.

Then transform the whole photoshop file to 16Bits, because at 32Bit you don't have access to many other tools.

Then I jump into the self-illuminated smart object and work with Arion there. You can do the same with your beauty pass.

you'll end up with a black and white glare pass that can be overly in your comp.

Having said that, you can also render linear in VRay and do your tone mapping, glow and others effects inside Arion too.

I work with Reinhard inside of Max because also help me to reduce render time, and optimize the antialiasing, but when that's not an issue I just leave everything to default and do tone mapping in post.

Besides Arion, there is Fusion too, that has a nice glow flare effect too. But Arion seems to be more designed to what we do in Arch Viz.

hope this work, let us know.

Fco.

Ok so I've ran into a few problems with Arion. Be patient as I've only had a week to play with it. The first one being that I like to set up links in my Photoshop files to the saved EXRs that way when I save over them after rendering I just click "update modified content" and my Photoshop file updates. Since Arion takes over the EXR importer in Photoshop, when I update the links they all go white and I have to manually re-link them back. If I go the multi-layer EXR rout, will Arion import everything properly?

Next issue is when I work with just my smart object Self Illumination pass in Arion, it will preview one way, then after I hit apply the result is completely different. I use some exposure control to bring out the effects but it never looks the way it previews within the plug in preview.