Ryzen Render Node

Hey, you all that have built Ryzen based machines, would you mind sharing your build specs? I'm planning a Ryzen render node build and would love some advice. I've been checking pcfoo daily hoping to see the headline, '$500 Ryzen Node'...but no luck yet ;) ;)

I'm thinking a bare-bones render node, but not skimping on things that matter. For example, not putting in a 1000w psu in when it only needs 300w, but making sure its a quality 300w psu thats going to provide clean power.

Node will be used solely for rendering Vray scenes from 3ds Max & Sketchup. I have 32 GB in my main workstation, but I usually have open 5 Skp files, 3 Max, 20 PSD's, 35 autocad drawings and over 100 chrome tabs, with netfilx and Spotify running simultaneously. Ok, I'm exaggerating (only a little bit), but dont' really know how much RAM I use for scenes, but it couldn't be too much....We mainly do single family residences. I imagine 16GB would more than suffice. Could always add more later. Budget is like I said, don't want fancy extras, but don't want to skimp on quality - it will be used to make money, but would like to keep it cheap as possible. Look for the best ROI. Its there to make money...so I don't split hairs about deciding if the faster chip is worth $75 more...if it costs $75 more but saves many hours a year in render time...its a no-brainer. Sounds like it will be worth it to water cool for highest stable overclock?

OK..I'm starting to ramble... Basically, want to put together a professional grade, no-frills build.

There is currently just about zero info around the web about ryzen render nodes, so I can't wait to hear some feedback. Excited about seeing another 16 buckets rendering but not having to pay Intel prices! :)

Cheers!

Greg

Here they are some testing results, check this thread

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/82240-ryzen.html

and that's all you'll need, I would suggest you checking the corona benchmark page as it is pretty much same as the vray. They use same cpu instructions, overall.

So, that would be all what you'll need to got some image on ryzen.

Also, I would check this, also

http://forums.cgarchitect.com/80150-cheap-16core-xeon-node-pros-cons.html

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm chomping at the bit to see where they price the 'Threadripper'. (why couldnt they come up with a better name?)

Then we'll need to do some GHz/Cores/Price comparisons for building 2 1700x nodes vs 1 Threadripper node. Hopefully, someone else will do this....math is my enemy.

Until then, still planning out the Ryzen node. Here's what I have together so far---------->

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rjdF9W

Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rjdF9W/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($104.98 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial - 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($103.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.50 @ Jet)

Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GT 730 2GB Video Card ($57.92 @ OutletPC)

Case: Fractal Design - Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($132.98 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1101.33

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-27 14:46 EDT-0400

Does that look about right for a render node? Any feedback?

One thing I was wondering is does a node need a SSD? Everything gets written into RAM for rendering so probly not any gains over an HDD I imagine...

Good point, Jonas.

Another thing to consider with pricing render nodes is that with Chaos Group's new pricing structure with Vray 3, is that you need to add $300 dollars for a render node licence on to the price of every node's build. Something to consider when debating whether to build one threadripper or two ryzen 7 nodes...

I see intel just dropped a $2000 i9 bomb at Computex.... Come on AMD....save us!!! :)

I would wait for the release of the upcoming Ryzen R9 (Threadripper, up to 16 cores ) and Core i9 (Skylake-X , up to 12 cores). There should be press releases on Computex next week.

Crazy how fast this info can become outdated. Intel is expected to launch an 18-core i9 in their lineup now. Intel is calling it the first teraflop desktop PC processor. Looks like the CPU wars are back on folks.

More info here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3198430/components/intels-core-i9-starts-a-bloody-battle-for-enthusiast-pcs.html

Edited by beestee

• 2 weeks later...

You can use the stock cooler supplied with the cpu and save money.

If you go for the b350 mobo make sure it has good vrm cooling if you want some overclock. other boards with slightly better vrm:

AB350 Pro4, AB350M Pro4, Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4, ASUS Prime B350-Plus, MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon, B350 KRAIT GAMING..

Other case to consider:

Cooler Master MasterBox Lite 5

NZXT S340

Put it full of fans for low noise and max cooling.

Also look at corsair lpx memory and at crucial ssd's.