Modeling Software Advice - Architecture Background

3darchitect

Greetings CG people!

I'm at a point in my personal and professional career where I want to make some software changes but am struggling with the best route. My background is in architecture and I am working toward getting licensed in the near future. However I recently started doing some more serious 3D freelance work and want to continue developing this path.

Right now I am proficient in AutoCAD and Sketchup. Per the industry standards in Architecture, learning either Revit or ArchiCAD is best for working in a firm. However, if I were to focus on modeling/rendering, I was looking at switching to Rhino or 3DS. I can work pretty fast and detailed in Sketchup, but have come across a number of recent projects where it just can't handle the detail I put into my models.

Bottom line is I'm struggling with what direction to take and where to focus my efforts to learning a new software. Yes, if I want to progress with BIM, I'm looking at Revit or ArchiCAD. But if I want to just work on building detailed architectural models for rendering purposes, does anyone use Rhino? Or is it mostly 3DS or Sketchup?

Thanks!

Hi Luke,

Rhino is great for creating sculptural models accurately, and with a cheaper license fee it's very popular with the higher end architectural studios. However, for creating visuals Rhino isn't a patch on 3DS Max, which has a much bigger tool set for that sort of work (for instance, tools for adding in randomness to your model so everything isn't too perfect). If you look round you'll find examples of people who do their base modelling in sketch up and then take the model into 3DS Max for context and texturing.

To do renderings, it really does not depend on the software you use, you need to train your eye and learn how to better work with colors and lighting and many other things.

Following Architectural Photographers is a good idea and learn all the potential and limitation of your software. Remember that a good skill in Photoshop is also priceless.

There are many very good Visualizers that only use Sketchup and V-Ray or any Ray render per say.

Now as mentioned by James 3DStaudio Max is way more than just a Visualization software, it also has a large community and developers that help them o be the 3D Software monster that it is.

If you are planning to dedicate yourself as a Visualizer I would recommend to learn 3D Max, not only for its strength as a 3D Software but also the flexibility to import others AEC software files.

If you will render only your designs, then staying on Sketchup with V-Ray would not be a bad choice. Rhino is better 3D Software over all compared to SketchUp but it does not mean you'll do better rendering on it.

Hi Luke,

Rhino is great for creating sculptural models accurately, and with a cheaper license fee it's very popular with the higher end architectural studios. However, for creating visuals Rhino isn't a patch on 3DS Max, which has a much bigger tool set for that sort of work (for instance, tools for adding in randomness to your model so everything isn't too perfect). If you look round you'll find examples of people who do their base modelling in sketch up and then take the model into 3DS Max for context and texturing.

Thanks for the reply James, that makes a lot of sense.

My issue is that I often come to a point where Sketchup just can't model as well as I'd like it to, thus my thinking to switch to Rhino. For visuals, I can still import to 3DS for the best of the best, but right now I'm more concerned about what the best move is for my modeling workflow. Perhaps I could look into some better plugins for sketchup as well.

To do renderings, it really does not depend on the software you use, you need to train your eye and learn how to better work with colors and lighting and many other things.

Following Architectural Photographers is a good idea and learn all the potential and limitation of your software. Remember that a good skill in Photoshop is also priceless.

There are many very good Visualizers that only use Sketchup and V-Ray or any Ray render per say.

Now as mentioned by James 3DStaudio Max is way more than just a Visualization software, it also has a large community and developers that help them o be the 3D Software monster that it is.

If you are planning to dedicate yourself as a Visualizer I would recommend to learn 3D Max, not only for its strength as a 3D Software but also the flexibility to import others AEC software files.

If you will render only your designs, then staying on Sketchup with V-Ray would not be a bad choice. Rhino is better 3D Software over all compared to SketchUp but it does not mean you'll do better rendering on it.

Thanks Francisco, that also is a good summary. I've heard before that the software doesn't play as big of a role, and that talented artists can get great outcome out of different tools. At this point, I'm torn about what direction to take this. So far my freelance has asked me to do modeling almost as much as rendering, so I am thinking that may also continue.

My issue is that I often come to a point where Sketchup just can't model as well as I'd like it to.

I model some things in Max and bring them back into SketchUp, like the Topo. I'll rough it out in SketchUp or convert it from contours, then smooth it and adjust it in max and make it into quads and bring it back into SketchUp.

So, use whatever tools work the best for now. No matter where you go in your future, more than likely you will have to learn some new software. So be flexible and learn a little of everything. When starting off, "being a jack of all trades and master of none" isn't a bad way to go.