Render Slave taking forever to start render

Marco Manunta

Hi there,

normally my vray distributed render works flawlessly. The slaves start in about 10-15minutes maximum.

there are times indeed, where the vraylog, after sending all the assets and stuff, tells me that the slave (its IP) is Starting Frame 0. And it rest like that for hours. Sometimes after a bunch of hours the slave eventually starts rendering.

did u ever had this problem ? how can i fix this ? my scene is 12'000'000 poly, with proxies and 128mb. I ve a super fast connection, my slave is connected to the router by a LAN cable.

I've rendered heavier scenes without any problem.

PS- I use only Vrayspawn , no blackburner or other stuff...

We are usually facing problems when there are x-ref files connected to the main scene running on the workstation. The slaves just wont start the render. I have to always merge the x-refs to the scene just before i start the render.

Or you might be missing some plugin which might be updated on the WS and not on all slaves?

Recently had a problem with the new floor generator as well, as now its a stack modifier and not a script.

We are usually facing problems when there are x-ref files connected to the main scene running on the workstation. The slaves just wont start the render. I have to always merge the x-refs to the scene just before i start the render.

Or you might be missing some plugin which might be updated on the WS and not on all slaves?

Recently had a problem with the new floor generator as well, as now its a stack modifier and not a script.

yes, probably you ve this problem when the scene is full of xrefs and proxies...but it's strange anyway.....i had the same problem in the past, when my slave was connected with WiFi and a very cheap WiFi USB. Then i connected with LAN, and it was a game changer.

Did anyone else have problems with slave connection time and proxies ?

If there are no x-refs and a lot of proxies, try not to transfer all the data to the slaves, but instead map the server/main data drive on them with the same heirarchy? Also displaying all the proxies as box makes it a bit faster if thats of any help.

The Proxies display mode i think could influence just the speed of the viewport, but i don't think it could influence render times/slave stuff.

by the way your advice of sending less things to slaves could be right...but i don't know how to do that at all...the "transfer missing assets" in the vray dr rendering box is too easy and confortable to use. I always used that..

The Proxies display mode i think could influence just the speed of the viewport, but i don't think it could influence render times/slave stuff.

by the way your advice of sending less things to slaves could be right...but i don't know how to do that at all...the "transfer missing assets" in the vray dr rendering box is too easy and confortable to use. I always used that..

Are your dr nodes mapped correctly? ie if you store all your assets on Z:\ is your node mapped to see this drive in the same format? If so, then you shouldn't need to transfer all the assets at rendertime.

Even so, your dr nodes shouldn't take 10 mins to load, let alone a few hours. That's a lot of wasted CPU power. I'd check your network, its settings too. Check any firewalls, and anti virus (are the DR nodes scanning the files which are being transfered?) Then look at max and vray. Perhaps re-install vray.