Xref

komyali

Ok I am using first time xfef in 7 years of work in max. Till now I was using proxies but now I have so big scene like never before. So I have couple questions

1. Have building that is xref object in new scene and than instanced couple times in that scene. When I update my building, in xref scene only imported one is updating, instances not (max2018).

2.Is it better to import multiple xref objects of same building, or one and then create instances?

3. Than that whole scene was saved and imported in new scene as xref scene(not possible to modify and move around). Is this nested xref taking my memory and render time? Is it better insted creating xref object and than importing as xref scene in new scene to go directly and create xref object?

4. hipoteticly speaking if my computer have 16G of memory and all my models take 20G of memory. Is it possible with xref to render these models or it will crash at start?

I will think more questions, I am in hurry now...

1. I dont recommend xref object they dont behave correctly (unless this has been addressed in 2018)

2. Create a proxy - instance this. Update the proxy if you need to make changes (or see point 3)

3. When using xref scene - you can link to dummy and move around

4. If your model takes 20gb memory and you have 16gb you will not be able to render. Look at your texture sizes as this typically takes up more of your ram than geometry does