Hi guys,

So finally its time for me to upgrade and get a decent workstation. Here is the configuration i am looking at. Main functions would be 3dsmax - modelling(not too much as our clients send most of the 3d), texturing, lighting, VRAY, PS

I am going to invest some time to learn cinema4d, corona, zbrush and a few other programs. This will be my personal workstation and not for the commercial work.

Would love to hear your opinion regarding the build

ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING - AMD X399

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X

Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL-GTX1060-O6G, 6GB GDDR5

HyperX Fury Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung SSD 960 EVO (M.2) - 500GB

Seagate BarraCuda - 3TB

Corsair HX1000, 1000W

Fractal Design Define R6, windowed, black

Thanks a lot nikolaos!

I will have a look into it, and the prices for these, here in CZ. I need to buy it locally to get the components without VAT on the companies tax ID.

I already have the 1950x on my studio workstation, and i wanted to get a system which would let me add on another graphic card within a year or two.

But i will check if your configuration is for the same price here, and maybe it would be benefitial!

Cheers again

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Himanshu

At a glance seems like you have got a pretty good machine coming together.

I don't know if you have set up your build on https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ but its super useful for calculating cost and it keeps track of things like voltage draws and compatibility issues. That said they have a tendency to favor suppliers so check your local stores for prices and think about building a relationship with at least one shop close to where you live. It may cost you some extra cash but over time it could save you.

Another great thing about part picker is you can see what other people around the world have done with similar builds and ask them questions. You can specify your country and set up a couple of versions of your plan.

Power supply:

I agree with the Idea of the HX1000 power supply as the draw on the 750 will push it into fan land more often thus producing noise. I am not sure of the specifics for that model but in general with gold or better power supplies the fan wont kick in until you are drawing half the rated wattage or whatever. (i am not an engineer) if you are planning on putting in another video card you will need more juice. So going bigger than you need on build day will help keep it quiet and efficient when you up grade. I have used corsair power supplies but I am also very Impressed with Seasonic they tend to cost more but hey if you can get what you need on sale at the same price... check the warranties.

Case:

I do love the look of the fractal design but I am all about the Enthoo Pro. I am using it because it has those silly old fashioned removable front plates.

Am i going to install a blue ray burner drive? Maybe. Do I want to put in some sort of sound thingy? Perhaps.

One thing for certain I am going to install a USB 3.1 C front panel and use that header that I am paying for on my mother board. I know my phone needs one and it is the future more than likely I will use it to sneaker net a portable hard drive without having to reach around the back and unplug some peripheral. I like the idea of options. Also its a great case to build in.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAFFK6PP9470&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10592396&PID=3938566&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker%2C+LLC

DRam:

I am not super familiar with your exact build but I will say check the QVL from both mother board manufacturer and the DRam Supplier. Part-picker is also a good resource for this information. Gskill has a fantastic QVL and has designed ram for RYZEN.

Mother board: things I like.

ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-X399-E-GAMING/specifications/

Its ASUS. I have had fantastic service and luck with this company.

Two m.2 slots plus the u.2 stuff

4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (single@x16, dual@x16/x16, triple@x16/x16/x8 mode)

Seems like a solid foundation.

X399 Taichi

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X399%20Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Its also ASUS or its cousin but I have never built with these boards.

Simply put this board seems better but I haven't researched it.

Three m.2 slots plus the u.2 stuff

I would definitely look into it as it seems like a solid suggestion from Nikolaos.

I was going down the thread ripper path earlier this year and was super interested in the X399 DESIGNARE EX.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X399-DESIGNARE-EX-rev-10#kf

I decided to hold off until the next round of RYZEN processor drops and build a kitted out 1800x for now I will settle on 8 cores. Also by building a year behind I know all about any issues and the bios updates are settled or settling.

Then I discovered the WS-C621E-SAGE.

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/WS-C621E-SAGE/

So I am building a Ryzen 1800x this that will be a great working machine and rip up anything I throw at it be expandable without having to buy parts twice. "Ie: Processor upgrade bad." in the mean time. That said my machine is still going to cost me $6000.00 before my new 4k monitor and office renovations.

https://www.benq.com/en/monitor/designer/pd3200u.html Why? Daul inputs and KVM.

I hope I have helped a bit. I have been building myself computers since the early 90's so I know the excitement of commitment to a new build and the magic of when it all comes together. I have made a few mistakes and they can be summed up under the same header. "Shortsightedness " So here are few suggestions:

1. If you are building a first class rig you need to get a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) for sure. Do your research as some UPS's Don't play nice with some Power-supplies and can cause more damage. Send off an email to the manufacturer and get a suggestion. (see 2) Get one rated at as close to double your average voltage draw. Make sure to replace the batteries as per instruction Think of it as an investment and a part of your build budget. I have lost thousands of dollars in gear in a single second during a thunder storm.

2. When you are shopping on line and in the real world and are not sure about a product or company come up with a (dumb) question and ask them directly. You can learn allot about them. How quickly do they respond? What kind of answer do they provide. Are they trying to up-sell you? If they treat you like garbage pre-sale how do you think they are going to deal with you after they have your money.

3. Do your own research. You tube has review videos for pretty much everything. Tech quickies will give you an idea of what they are talking about and deep dive information on individual products. Watch a few on any given subject a lot of these guys are self appointed pros so even though they are doing there best to bring you good information...

4. Go big and empty or go home. What I mean by that is if you have 8 memory slots and you have budget concerns use bigger SIMS for example two 16GB SIMS instead of eight 4GB SIMS Unless you need to have your slots populated to provide for your buses. Research!!! Ram prices will go down over time. Saving $20.00 now can translate into tossing out perfectly good ram for bigger ram. That cam cost you way more down the road.

5. Go for the biggest Processor you cant afford. See above for the gist of this advice. The two things in your build that wont change are you processor and motherboard.

The thing about Computers is that they tend to stick around. If you plan ahead this machine could end up being part of your render net work then eventually the one you use in the garage to play music during barb-ques. If you stick it full of current tech i could cost you tens of thousands but generally prices fall sharply after 5 years.

As an old crusty I can go on. But I wont. Happy building and "Render like the wind my son, render like the wind!"

C