But what is it??

Tim Nelson

Hey all, it's been a while! That much is obvious for the question I'm about to ask. Forgive my ignorance, but what exactly IS Vray Next? I've tried looking for the basic answer to this, but there's no Next for dummies faq. Is it meant to be a whole replacement for Vray? Is our OG Vray going away eventually? I'm so confused. Now we have Vray, Vray Next, and lots of people using Corona. And, is Vray Next mature enough to use full time in arch and product production?

I need to start hanging around here more often. Thank you.

They said Vray 4 didn't sound cool enough. So Vray Next is what they called it. So if it makes you feel at ease, think of this as Vray 4.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/total-chaos-for-v-ray-whats-next/

One might ask: Why V-Ray Next and not V-Ray V4? "The answer is pretty simple, V-Ray 4 for 3ds Max doesn't sound very good" explained Grohs. "And we also thought it was a good chance to highlight that a lot had changed, especially under the hood, to make it the next generation of renderer ".

I think this is a start to get all Vray's across the various platforms to share information a wee bit better. Hopefully, Max's Vray will get onto Vray Swarm to use distributed rendering. That'll make our architecture pipeline so much easier with folks using Revit/Rhino/SketchUp Vray editions.

Edited by VelvetElvis

They said Vray 4 didn't sound cool enough. So Vray Next is what they called it. So if it makes you feel at ease, think of this as Vray 4.

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/total-chaos-for-v-ray-whats-next/

I think this is a start to get all Vray's across the various platforms to share information a wee bit better. Hopefully, Max's Vray will get onto Vray Swarm to use distributed rendering. That'll make our architecture pipeline so much easier with folks using Revit/Rhino/SketchUp Vray editions.

Thanks for the link, that's very helpful!