Can I use Google Earth images commercially?

yannisbeier

Everybody has probably exported a picture from Google Earth and composited their rendering into it. We did it all the time in university and every architect probably uses Google Earth or Google Maps internally. Google Earth even includes an export function for images up to 4k resolution.

But is it actually legal to use Google Earth images commercially (for Archviz)?

I've been googling all day and could not find a clear answer. Google Permissions page states that we may use GE Images as long as we attribute Google and the image owners and don't alter the images substantially. But I think Googles TOS states that images may not be used commercially. However, I also could not find any option to purchase a license to use GE images, and since Google Earth Pro is free, those license don't seem to exist anymore.

The more I research, the less I understand, to be honest, so...

Could I use an image from google earth, comp my rendering into it and then sell that image to a client? If not, how is everyone doing aerial shots? I guess drones exist now, but that is still a lot more work than simply zooming over to a site in Google Earth...

I would love to get some input, sources or discussion on this topic, especially since I could not find anything relating to Google Earth + licensing + archviz in particular.

• 3 weeks later...

Strange, no answers yet. Does this mean that this is an unclear topic? For our studio, when not using drone, we buy digital survey data with draped satellite photos included to incorporate as mid to long distance ground. Not sure where those photos are licensed from, but I do believe the people we buy the data from has this license in order. Used Google maps directly a few times as last resort only.

I'm surprised too, I thought this was either a clear cut issue or it would spark debate.

I contacted Google a few weeks ago but they did not yet respond. I guess using drones or buying aerial fotographs is the right way to go about it for now. But using Google Earth is so much more convenient and flexible, especially if you don't need the most perfect quality. Hopefully they will get back to me soon.

• 3 weeks later...