Verified views without surveying equipment.

Tom Bussey

Is it possible to create a verified view without the surveying of surrounding buildings?

If you had a 3D model or the area, recorded accurate GPS locations of the photos and somehow recorded elevation accurately, are the extra survey points necessary?

I may be missing something, but if the building position and the camera positions are known, is this not enough to build an accurate model on the scenario within 3D?

You can, it all depends on what you are going to sell as a "verified" view. If it is going to have to be accurate as possible, having the real data from survey equipment goes a long way.

I would suspect most verified views really only need the information you already have and can fall into the close enough category.

I don't think you could call it a verified view tbh. We outsource all verified views, mainly for insurance purposes. If you have a good 3d context model (which have tolerances of course) or some known measurements you can use SynthEyes to match a photo really well, but we'd never claim they were verified. We demonstrate the accuracy with a wireline of the context model over the photo as well as the final image.

Edit: Anecdotally, I've noticed a lot more demand for multiple verified views of our projects in London recently, rendered as oppose to wirelines. One planner recently requested 14 verified views... The client pushed back (obvs) and we handled a lot with this photogrammetry technique.

Edited by sjmoir