Photorealistic renders in V-Ray ???

Storm

Hi,

First time poster, long time "wow look at that render it amazing"er :)

We recently bought V-Ray where I work and I've been going over some old 3d models to try and update them.

Anyways this is a hospital ward bathroom I've been having a play with this week, it looks a lot better than it used too, I've added extra details into the modelling and stuff, but it's still a million miles from stuff I've see on the galleries here on CG Architect and other sites.

I was wondering if the photorealistic renders in the galleries being rendered at insane high quality levels in the v-ray settings and take like a day to render 1 image, or are there other issues involved with v-ray ?

I understand it's also down to the material quality and the mesh detail in the objects, but am I missing that "press this to make fantastic" button in v-ray ?

Cheers for any advice,

hospitalbathroomtest01.jpg

Cheers for the comments.

I did some looking around and found this tutorial link on this forum

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/mich/minterior01.htm

I downloaded the files and that interior took 6 hours to render at 800x600 on my PC, my bathroom was taking less than an hour at 1024x768. Noticed the interior tutorial had much higher subdivisions and quite different rendering settings so I'll have a good look at the way they did the modelling and rendering setup.

Fingers crossed.

Just keep in mind that artists created those images that you are talking about, not the rendering engines. Can't expect to just use a rendering engine and it will automatically make something look better. Like buying a new car will make you a better driver.

On the other hand, a new rendering engine means learning new tools. So a lot has to be different about it. Trying out an old scene done with an old rendering engine is not a good idea, since it was made for an older set up, and the lighting is set up differently. I would practice with simple scenes and then try more complex ones later.

hi There

Storm

check This link out, its is for vray exteriors

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/cni01.html

"In this lecture on the subject of Global Illumination lighting techniques, Christopher Nichols discusses the subject of exterior lighting. This DVD covers a general introduction to the principles of Global Illumination, which are essential to the understanding of this specialized form of lighting. While the series primarily uses V-Ray as the render engine in a 3ds Max environment, those using other GI renderers will also benefit from the conceptual techniques described. From the general concepts of reflected specular and diffuse light, to sky lights and image based lighting with HDRIs, Christopher shows how to light scenes using real world lighting in a fully reflective environment. He also demonstrates how to tackle the issues of animation by finding the most optimal way to bake lighting for exterior sets. This series is geared toward the CG artist that already has an intermediate understanding of direct lighting and is making the transition to GI lighting.

Over 3 hours of lecture."

and for vray Interiors:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/cni02.html

and Take a good note of The name of The person

who just replied To you earlier. he knows what he

is Talking about.

Thanks

Randy

Hi again,

Thanks for the links Randy, much appreciated, will order them in the week.

And I took your advice Chris, I'm currently working on a square room with one window :) I can see what you mean about using older models and trying too much too soon so to speak.

I do realise its the artist behind the technology thats the real star.

It's nice to find a place where you can ask advice and get helpful comments/pointers, etc. Where I work, (big multi national engineering consultant), you can ask for help on our 3d forum and you'll see the tumbleweeds before anyone tries to help out. There's a culture of 'I know it but I ain't telling you cause then you'll know what I know..'.

Thanks again,

Colin

Hi again,

Thanks for the links Randy, much appreciated, will order them in the week.

And I took your advice Chris, I'm currently working on a square room with one window :) I can see what you mean about using older models and trying too much too soon so to speak.

I do realise its the artist behind the technology thats the real star.

It's nice to find a place where you can ask advice and get helpful comments/pointers, etc. Where I work, (big multi national engineering consultant), you can ask for help on our 3d forum and you'll see the tumbleweeds before anyone tries to help out. There's a culture of 'I know it but I ain't telling you cause then you'll know what I know..'.

Thanks again,

Colin

You have come to the right place.

I received my Exterior DVD last friday and it's well worth the money. I ordered it through this website and earned points while doing it. I'll use those points to order the Interior DVD someday. I recommend buying the DVD :)

Jeff Mottle: Any deals on the Sketchup V5 book?

I received my Exterior DVD last friday and it's well worth the money. I ordered it through this website and earned points while doing it. I'll use those points to order the Interior DVD someday. I recommend buying the DVD :)

Jeff Mottle: Any deals on the Sketchup V5 book?

It always makes my day when people say things like that. Thanks....

I've been having a play with the

http://www.evermotion.org/tutorials/...interior01.htm

tutorial to try and learn.

anyways, you'll probably all roll around and laugh but if I render that scene, before it starts to do the v-ray solution it goes through a 'transforming vertices' stage. Anyone know why it's doing that ? is it something to do with the subdivisions?

Soz for the stupid question if it's staring me in the face already.

Oh and I ordered your lighting dvd's Chris, hopefully they'll arrive soon. I need the help :)