3dsmax8 license queries

the.3dsmax.blogger

1) What is the diff between a Multi Seat Standalone, Satndalone, Network deployment for 3dsMax8 ?

2) Is it dependent on the license that you purchase? can any license be deployed as either type of installation?

3) Is the deployment option decided at the time of purchase or at the time of getting the activation code?

4) Is it possible to transfer a single license from one pc to another pc, for any of these types of deployment? how?

5) what is the most recommended option?

our company setup has multiple pcs; of which only 1 is currently used for 3d. we have purchased a single license of 3dsmax. we may have future plans of purchasing more licenses.

please elaborate !!! :D

Samir,

i asked my dealer to answer these q's.

Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 4:23 PM

To: Arun D'souza

Subject: RE: some questions about max that a user posted.

Standalone license is a license meant to be deployed only on a single PC. Authorization can be obtained for that PC only.

Network license is a floating license. License is generated on the server for an X number of license. Max can be installed on multiple PC’s but can be run on only those X number of PC’s at a time.

The method of licensing has to be decided during purchase. Decision would be made on case to case basis. If your setup has 30 people with the knowledge of 3ds max, but at a given point not more than 10 people use it, it is advisable to go in for 10 network license, rather than 30 stand alone licenses.

A single license can be transferred from 1 PC to another using the Portable license utility.

Thanks & Regards,

Shekhar Rohira.

Mobile: - 98700 81680.

E-Mail:- shekhar@tasaa.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tasaa Netcom Pvt. Ltd,

Authorized Autodesk MED Partner.

15, Chanchal Smruti CHS,

25, G. D Ambekar Rd, Wadala,

Mumbai - 400 031.

Tel - 2416 7159. TeleFax - 2416 7294.

• 1 year later...

I have a few questions also. I know some points have been answered already but i am planning to purchase another 3dsmax license to add to our existing license. but, i would like to know if...

1).. its is possible to purchase a single package of 3dsmax from autodesk reseller with a predetermined number of seats, for example, 10 seats?

2)for example, i have 6 people working for me and all of them must use 3dsmax at the same time, do I REALLY need to buy 6 stand-alone licenses or get a license with a pre-determined number of seats?

3) if i already have a license of 3dsmax (stand-alone) and would want to purchase more licenses, do i need to buy another stand-alone license (OMG!!) or a seat license/network license?

4)I'm from the Philippines and I spoke to the distributor of 3dsmax here, they said if i need 10 licenses, i need to buy 10 stand-alone licenses(OMG!!), then purchase the network license manager for a certain cost so i can use all licenses at the same time? is this true? because i believe its possible to buy a 3dsmax package with a pre-determined number of seats (am i right?).

5)Finally, I would like to ask Autodesk in our region,will they reply or just forward me to one of our resellers here in our country? Because our resellers do not know a single thing about lthe software they are selling, only the price for a stand-alone...they don't even know anything about other licensing options...

3dsmax is a very good software for architectural presentation and my studio here invested on it, but it is very expenssive. Im considering to buy a few more l3dsmax licenses for our expansion but buying another standalone at the same price is really very crazy!!that is why im asking about multi-seat licenses etc and other licensing options available for autodesk 3dsmax.

Resellers are allowed to give volume discounts to existing customers - at my last firm, we got them to do this. So if they like you, or believe you would go to another dealer, they can make a deal.

Also, usually when you get a multiseat deployment as a package, you get one serial number with a certain number of licenses on it and one install disc. If you have network licenses, the number of licenses is the number of computers that can be running the software at the same time.

Also, if you're unhappy with your reseller, call Autodesk - with the amount of money you're going to spend on software, you're entitled to decent service.

viz is really cheaper actually but we need 64bit 3dsmax mainly because our in house renderfarm makes use of 64bit processors and OS's.

thanks for the advice. I will setup another meeting with the reseller and give them another otherwise i go directly to autodesk and complain..

thanks a lot!!